LFO SYNC:WHAT A MISTERY!!!!

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
muteoscillator

LFO SYNC:WHAT A MISTERY!!!!

Post by muteoscillator » Wed Jan 31, 2007 8:09 pm

hi everybody from your favourite newbie ever!!!!!
i cannot sync the lfo to the tempo of my sequencer.i put the lfo synch selctor on midi but still the tempo is not synched at all.
can you please tell me where am i go wrong?
thank you!!!!

DeFrag

Post by DeFrag » Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:34 am

what sequencer?
Little Phatty TE #1023 • Schrittmacher • Walking Stick ribbon • Korg microXL/Electribe MX/KaossPro • Sonnus G2M
MF-101 Filter • MF-102 Ring • MF-103 Phaser • MF-104Z Delay • MF-105 MuRF • MF-107 FreqBox • MF-108M Cluster • Etherwave
_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Thu Feb 01, 2007 11:28 pm

What item are you talking about? Moogerfoogers? Voyager? LP?

If you are talking about the synths, the LFO is analog and there is no way to "sync" an analog LFO to a MIDI clock. There is a way around this, though. What the Voyager (I'm assuming the LP has this function, too) actually does is re-triggers the LFO with the MIDI clock. So you have to adjust the frequency of the LFO so that it triggers in sync with the MIDI clock.

Just slowly turn the LFO frequency until you hear it in sync. It it easiest to hear is the LFO is set to square wave, then once its in sync swith the source to what ever you want. You can actually get so cool poly-rhythmic type effects with the LFO out of sync, so it can be kind of a good thing.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Fri Feb 02, 2007 12:55 am

You can sync any LFO with a hard sync to a midi clock if you have a midi interface, or if you have an envelope follower, that can work the same way.

get it close by fine tuning it, the hard sync will take care of the rest.

[.com modular oscillators are great for this!
Electronic Violinist here

OysterRock

Post by OysterRock » Fri Feb 02, 2007 1:10 am

matt the fiddler wrote:You can sync any LFO with a hard sync to a midi clock if you have a midi interface
I pretty sure this is what the Voyager LFO does. Hard sync is when a master oscillator (in this case, divided down MIDI clock) retriggers the slave oscillator (the LFO). Here is the hard sync definition from Wikipedia:

"Every time the master oscillator's cycle repeats, the slave is retriggered, regardless of its position. If the slave is tuned to a lower frequency than the master it will be forced to repeat before it completes an entire cycle, and if it is tuned to a higher frequency it will be forced to repeat partway through a second or third cycle."