MF-107 Freq Box photo/deets

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun Jan 14, 2007 5:32 pm

I will post some diagrams later... :) possibly some mp3s
Electronic Violinist here

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun Jan 14, 2007 6:47 pm

Well, here try this for starters.. this is simple, but headed in I think the FREQBOX direction. [won't knwo exactly till I test one out]

if you have 2 oscillators.. have both be in audio range at a sine wave to start, and have the second one's sine wave feed into the linear or the exponantial frequency input [preferably 1v/oct input] this is where you normally patch the pitch CV from the keyboard. it should sound ring moddy-ish. now, turn the input oscillator's freq nob, and listen ... start toying around.. A fun spot is where the modulating wave exits the audio range on the low end...

now take that, and feed other stuff in, other waveforms or instruments..

sample and hold or a sequencer modulating the 1st, modulating the 2nd..

add envelopes, etc.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:43 pm

electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:
matt the fiddler wrote:I can get very similiar results to what I think the freqbox is doing using my .com modular synth. I patch some signal in to the oscillator 1v/ octave pitch control and mix that with the signal, and get some pretty freaky stuff :)
can you explain better how you are doing that? I'd love to try it!
I have Q118 (instrument interface) & a bunch of Q106's. Do I need anything else?
Do you just patch the Q118 Amplified signal to the 1v/oct input and also the mixer?
Some people are speculating elsewhere on this forum that there might be more to this new MF107 than just straightforward Frequency Modulation (which can be accomplished on any VCO--or any synth with a CV input-- by patching an amplified audio frequency signal to the VCOs CV input). It could be that 107 has some additional circuit that will let it's VCO sync up to the input signal--or provide the input signal with some new/unusual way of modulating the VCO. Seems like this would be pretty likely, considering 'normal' FM is so similar to Ring Modulation (and theres already a RM Mooger).

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Sun Jan 14, 2007 8:58 pm

I just saw that thread in the other forum...

food for thought.. Thursday is when we know everything for sure I believe, right?
only time will tell....

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Mon Jan 15, 2007 1:42 am

fwiw I can hard sync the Q106 oscillators,. which was what some people supposed was a function

boy I can't wait till Thursday's full announcement :)

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Jan 15, 2007 4:21 am

matt the fiddler wrote:fwiw I can hard sync the Q106 oscillators,. which was what some people supposed was a function
what I'm wondering is if the 107 is going to somehow sync to a guitar signal, or if there is some kind of built in internal sync signal. Every syncable VCO I've used requires a second VCO to work. But it would seem like theres only 1 VCO on the MF107. Which is curious.

Someone else sort of suggested that it may be that there's actually two new Moogers: 106 and 107. Two different new VCO Moogers, each with it's own functions-- and that maybe the 106 will have the Pitch to Voltage circuit.

Many speculations...

Robzilla

Post by Robzilla » Mon Jan 15, 2007 2:09 pm

what about a MF-106? :?:

jamirokid

Post by jamirokid » Mon Jan 15, 2007 5:11 pm

eric coleridge wrote:
electrical_engineer_gEEk wrote:
matt the fiddler wrote:I can get very similiar results to what I think the freqbox is doing using my .com modular synth. I patch some signal in to the oscillator 1v/ octave pitch control and mix that with the signal, and get some pretty freaky stuff :)
can you explain better how you are doing that? I'd love to try it!
I have Q118 (instrument interface) & a bunch of Q106's. Do I need anything else?
Do you just patch the Q118 Amplified signal to the 1v/oct input and also the mixer?
Some people are speculating elsewhere on this forum that there might be more to this new MF107 than just straightforward Frequency Modulation (which can be accomplished on any VCO--or any synth with a CV input-- by patching an amplified audio frequency signal to the VCOs CV input). It could be that 107 has some additional circuit that will let it's VCO sync up to the input signal--or provide the input signal with some new/unusual way of modulating the VCO. Seems like this would be pretty likely, considering 'normal' FM is so similar to Ring Modulation (and theres already a RM Mooger).
I know this is the fooger place but can I do this with my MMV?
Josh

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Mon Jan 15, 2007 6:35 pm

jamirokid wrote: I know this is the fooger place but can I do this with my MMV?
Josh
Yeah, definitely. I don't have a MMV, but isn't there a selection in the Mod Bus to modulate one Oscillator by another? This would be an example of audio frequency modulation (FM). Moog used it on alot of models (Mini, Micro, etc.) for pseudo-ring-mod effects. You can FM a VCF or VCA too (modulate the filter with a osc or ext signal).

But also, you can take an external sound (try amplifing it first), and patch it into the MMVs CV input. On some synths, like the original MM, the CV in is labeled 'Osc'. This is a way to acheive RM effects using an external signal. But it usually doesn't work as well with ext. audio signals; In my experience the effect is more dramatic (and more ring mod like) using 2 oscillators. Which is why it seems likely that the 107 is doing something more than straight forward FM.

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Wed Jan 17, 2007 10:16 am

The MF-106 will be the real Oscillator.

eric coleridge

Post by eric coleridge » Wed Jan 17, 2007 12:18 pm

JSRockit wrote:The MF-106 will be the real Oscillator.
Do you know this for sure?

earsmack

Post by earsmack » Wed Jan 17, 2007 4:17 pm

http://www.novamusik.com seems to only list the 107 (no 106) and as they seem to be the leakiest NAMM faucet in the house that might be worth something.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Wed Jan 17, 2007 6:26 pm

It’s here--the newest addition to the Moogerfooger line of analog effects. The MF-107 FreqBox does not actually modify the audio input signal. Inside the FreqBox is a Voltage Controlled Oscillator (VCO) which is modulated by the sound source input—an Audio Modulated VCO! The result is an amazing array of effects that were once only possible with a complex modular synth setup—everything from fuzz-like distortion to what product development engineer Steve Dunnington calls “cataclysmic timbral morphing” A true “freak box”!

electrical_engineer_gEEk

Post by electrical_engineer_gEEk » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:29 pm

no offense, but that was the first thing leaked....that entire statement.....

JSRockit

Post by JSRockit » Thu Jan 18, 2007 1:37 pm

eric coleridge wrote:
JSRockit wrote:The MF-106 will be the real Oscillator.
Do you know this for sure?
Nope. :P