new voyager user

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Stergios T.

new voyager user

Post by Stergios T. » Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 pm

Hi
i bought 2 days ago a used voyager est 2002.
I have 2 questions regarding this synth(which i already love...)

-Mine came with3.5 firmware.I read at a post where firmware 3.0 was described that this firmware gave plenty of presets.7 x128 sounds. Of the 896 user accessible presets, 704 come pre-loaded with patches from Nigel Hopkins, Brian Kehew, Will Alexander, Bernie Worrell, Drew Newmann, Amos Gaynes, Steve Dunnington, Aron Magner, Chad Hugo, Darrell Diaz, Frank Lucas, Fred Wreck, Gabrial McNair, Geoffrey Keezer, Herbie Hancock, Khari Simmons, James Lumb, Jamie Muhoberac, Joseph Rivers, Neil Palmer, Printz Board, Randy Cantor, Rick Wakeman, Mark Kline, Zon Vern Pyles, Thomas Wolf.

I realised that banks E and G have the same sounds...so is the g bank a duplicate of E?hiw can i check that mine is loaded with all those pressets of v3 and v 3.5?i did a factory presets reset..is ii enough?

-osc 3 seems that it is not in tune with osc1 and 2 ....(it must be set about +2/3 with the freqiency knob to be in the same tuning as the other 2 oscs.)
They all also seem to have a slightly different sound..is it normal?how can i fix it?i read somewhere that the tuning cane be eqasily be fixed from some trimmers inside the synh.is that true?I have 2 really good techs here so they can do whatever tech work is needed.
thanks in advance

Acid Mitch

Re: new voyager user

Post by Acid Mitch » Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:23 pm

Aye, bank g is supposed to be a duplicate.
If you want to make sure you have all the presets you can download them from post number 3 here https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... esets.html.

It's pretty common with analogue synths for an oscillators tuning to go off after a while. It's true that there are trimmers to recalibrate it.

till

Post by till » Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 am

Stergios T. wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 pm ...
-osc 3 seems that it is not in tune with osc1 and 2 ....(it must be set about +2/3 with the freqiency knob to be in the same tuning as the other 2 oscs.)
Welcome and gratulation!

Do you mean by "+2/3" the value shown on the display or the marking of the pot on the panel?

You need to find the tuning procedure and which pot to turn.

This will help your tech (not recommended for inexperienced, first time analog synth tunings):

Let the Voyager warm up for 30 min in the normal studio temperature.
Be sure the pitch bend wheel is centered. Better set the pitch bend range to zero in both directions (see manual).
Set Voyager to INIT sound.

VCO 3
• play low E at 8’
• adjust RT6 RANGE
• set octave to 2’
• adjust RT5 SCALE
• back to 8’
• adjust RT6 RANGE
• adjust RP14 FOR 1’ OCTAVE
• set octave back to 8’

• play HIGH E
• adjust RP16 KBTRACK
• play low E, readjust RT6 RANGE if necessary

Remarks:
RTs are multiturn, RPs are single turn pots
Bottom E on 8ft = 164.8 Hz
Top E on 8ft = 659.2 Hz

Warning:
As turning the trimmers need to be done while the synth is powered, this is recommended to be done only by experienced technicians. Do at your own risk.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Stergios T.

Post by Stergios T. » Wed May 01, 2024 12:10 pm

Acid Mitch wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:23 pm Aye, bank g is supposed to be a duplicate.
If you want to make sure you have all the presets you can download them from post number 3 here https://gearspace.com/board/electronic- ... esets.html.

It's pretty common with analogue synths for an oscillators tuning to go off after a while. It's true that there are trimmers to recalibrate it.
thanks,i ve already downloaded them

Stergios T.

Post by Stergios T. » Wed May 01, 2024 12:11 pm

till wrote: Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:15 am
Stergios T. wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:36 pm ...
Welcome and gratulation!

Do you mean by "+2/3" the value shown on the display or the marking of the pot on the panel?

You need to find the tuning procedure and which pot to turn.

This will help your tech (not recommended for inexperienced, first time analog synth tunings):

Let the Voyager warm up for 30 min in the normal studio temperature.
Be sure the pitch bend wheel is centered. Better set the pitch bend range to zero in both directions (see manual).
Set Voyager to INIT sound.

VCO 3
• play low E at 8’
• adjust RT6 RANGE
• set octave to 2’
• adjust RT5 SCALE
• back to 8’
• adjust RT6 RANGE
• adjust RP14 FOR 1’ OCTAVE
• set octave back to 8’

• play HIGH E
• adjust RP16 KBTRACK
• play low E, readjust RT6 RANGE if necessary

Remarks:
RTs are multiturn, RPs are single turn pots
Bottom E on 8ft = 164.8 Hz
Top E on 8ft = 659.2 Hz

Warning:
As turning the trimmers need to be done while the synth is powered, this is recommended to be done only by experienced technicians. Do at your own risk.
i meant the values on the display.
do you find that it is necessary to give it to a technician?Do you think that that all the problems i described are a bit normal?

till

Post by till » Fri May 03, 2024 9:37 am

Stergios T. wrote: Wed May 01, 2024 12:11 pm i meant the values on the display.
do you find that it is necessary to give it to a technician?Do you think that that all the problems i described are a bit normal?
Although not perfect, I would not calibrate it, unless you dislike all stored factory presets being detuned.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16