Voyager Fine Tune

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
andrewlong

Voyager Fine Tune

Post by andrewlong » Sun Dec 31, 2023 7:09 pm

Greetings!

I just purchased a Voyager AE second-hand that has a few issues. Most are manageable, but I have one that seems like a potential deal-breaker. The fine tune knob on it does not seem to work. With OSC1 running (ext env.gate) hooked up to a tuner, the fine tune knob doesn't change the pitch. I read it should be +/- 2 semitones.

I've gone through the process of calibrating the oscillators (they were all about 3 semitones detuned when I got it) but without the fine tune I imagine the hour to hour drift will drive me crazy. If anyone is aware of a pot on the analog board that maps to the knob, or ways I can debug the knob itself, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Andrew

Acid Mitch

Re: Voyager Fine Tune

Post by Acid Mitch » Sun Feb 18, 2024 4:40 pm

Does the display show values changing when you turn the fine tune knob ?
Do you have osc sync set to "off" on the front panel ?

RL

Post by RL » Mon Feb 19, 2024 5:45 am

the fine tune pot is not connected to the digital board - that means you can't see any values in the display.
I guess the pot is broken.
http://www.moogmusic.de/index2

CharlotteFilemdar

Post by CharlotteFilemdar » Tue Feb 20, 2024 8:03 am

I hear your concerns about the non-functioning fine tune knob on your Voyager AE. It's understandable that this could be a deal-breaker. While I can't provide specific repair instructions, here are some suggestions:

Ensure you followed the calibration procedure accurately. Re-calibrate both oscillators and verify if the issue persists.
Inspect the fine tune knob itself for any loose connections, cracks, or debris. Gently rotate it and listen for any scratching or rubbing noises.
Look for forums or user communities dedicated to the Voyager AE. Search for similar issues and solutions related to the fine tune knob.
Remember, attempting repairs without proper knowledge or experience can risk further damage. If the issue seems beyond your comfort level, don't hesitate to seek professional help to ensure your beloved synth gets back in tune!