Model D, Key problem

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Palle

Model D, Key problem

Post by Palle » Wed Dec 27, 2023 8:34 am

I have a problem with a few keys, and I was sure it relates to the pitch springs. Typically, the keys trigger and the pitch just runs upwards. Pushing a bit more, the pitch goes where it´s supposed to. I, and I assume many of you as well, then´ll say, clean the springs, or replace them.
The thing is, though, all these keys are in a row. It´s the low Bb and eight semitones up to the second F#. That´s why I´d like to ask you first, before I bring the Minimoog back home (to open it under more secure conditions). Could there be another issue, than just bad or dirty springs?

till

Re: Model D, Key problem

Post by till » Wed Dec 27, 2023 12:20 pm

So you are talking about a vintage Minimoog.

There are two rows of contact springs: one for pitch and one for gate/trigger.
If the springs or the two bus bars (the metal parts the springs touch) are worn out their galvanized plating, the contact is not good anymore. The don't make contact at the same time. As bending the spring a tiny bit for a new contact position is a delicate and bit risky thing, I recommend to turn the bus bars a little bit. Just undo the black bottom plate of the Minimoog.

Unplug the Minimoog from the mains. Just turn it upside down on your couch or bed. Und the screws (but not the ones of the rubber feets). You will see the bus bars.
I would also recommend to clean the bus bars before turning using a Q-Tip or alike and pure alcohol. You just have to clean the part, that will be where the springs of the keys will make he contact after you gently turned the bus bars.

You may also adjust the plastic part holding the two springs gently to make sure both contacts are made at the same moment.
Close the bottom and connect you Minimoog to mains and audio.

I made this two or three times on my 1979 Minimoog over the last 38 years of owning it.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Palle

Post by Palle » Thu Dec 28, 2023 5:17 am

Thanks a lot for your answer.
Yes, it´s a version 3 model D. Ser. nr. 10XXX something. I´ve had since 2001, I think, a little more than 20 years, and I´ve only opened up the keyboard part once. I messed around with some of the springs, and I´m afraid I didn´t know back then what I was doing.

I´m going to order at least ten new springs, but just like you seem to think, I´m also considering looking closer at the bars, since so many keys in a row are affected. I´m too thinking a bar might be bent just out of touch from the springs in that area, or that it could have catched more dirt - for some reason. I´ve seen youtube clips showing that those bars necessarily aren´t very straight, so turning them at first hand, or bending them back looks like a solution before taking care of springs.

If it turns out some springs are a mess, I´ll naturally take care of them too. Once again, thanks for your information.

Palle

Post by Palle » Wed Mar 27, 2024 10:36 am

It´s time to do something about the gold plated springs now, after having battled with the bushings the last weekend. Before I do anything stupid and irrevocable, do I remove the circuit board by just pulling the rubber cones up?
I´ve already done one stupid thing, when I changed all the bushings. I put all the keys back. Springs, caps, screws.... the lot multiplied by 44. That means I have to remove all of them again, if the circuit board only comes of by pushing the rubber cones out. I´d much rather avoid all that again. Please, tell me instead they´re supposed to be pulled out!