digital recording

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
brokeneck

digital recording

Post by brokeneck » Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:12 pm

hi

I have a quick question that I thought you synth types might be able to answer.

I'm awaiting my sweet new computer's arival and when it does I want to start recording music FINALLY.

http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... =102161007

is that something i'll need in order to record through my computer? Or can you recomend something else?
Also, I plan on using Cakewalk instead of protools. any comments there?

thanks guys
Moog Rogue Forever

till

Post by till » Sat Dec 02, 2006 7:42 am

I think this question is not that much well fitted in this forum. There might be only a few nor no user of this gear. Better use a forum for digital recording. Like the one at http://acapella.harmony-central.com/for ... &forumid=9
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Suburban Bather

Post by Suburban Bather » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:28 am

The interface you have selected should be better than Soundblaster cards. However, I strongly recomend investing in higher quality card later down the road. Like this one= http://www.guitarcenter.com/shop/produc ... sku=240318

If you ever get a chance to compare them side by side. I guarantee that you will immediately notice the Tascam card having a "compressed or flat" sound compared to the RME.

Yes they are expensive, but your analog gear diserves a card that "faithfully" captures all of its character that separates from digital synths. Plus it will give you even more headroom when mixing.

Pro Tools is overated. The only reason that it is so popular is because its a standard for studios. Its good to know how to use Pro Tools but other programs out there do the same thing and then some.

Good luck with your purchases :P

Don

Re: digital recording

Post by Don » Sat Dec 02, 2006 11:40 am

Brokeneck, it's impossible to answer your question because we don't know what inputs your computer will have. Does it have audio inputs? Are they good quality? If so, you won't need the external sound to USB converter you listed.

However, you may want to get a good quality mixer. Personally, I like the Mackie mixers, although I'm sure there will be other recommendations.

You also have to understand the problems associated with multiple volume/amplitude controls. One of the most common complaints I see from a wide variety of people is "MY SYSTEM IS DISTORTING!" The problem tends to be mismatching input and output volume settings so that a high volume output goes into a high volume input. Just bring them back down and play with them until the distortion is gone and your signal to noise (hiss) ratio is the highest it can be.

Cakewalk's software is some of the finest around if you have the misfortune of being stuck using Windows. Also, I do not know if Cakewalk products will be compatible with Vista, so you may have to pay for an upgrade just to be able to use it. Finally, if you ever plan to go into professional studios, where ProTools is the standard, you won't be at home and will be at the mercy of someone else's idea of what you want.