Model D versus Voyager

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Roince

Model D versus Voyager

Post by Roince » Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:09 pm

I call two minimoogs model D my own (with lintronics midi ).I know it´s a lot as most people don´t have a single one. I can do things like cross connect them (going with -lo out > ext.in-of the other Mini and vise verca) what makes some kind of crazy sort of distortion. Or have 6 OSC at once ... and each of the two Minimoogs sound slightly different (or is it just the different colour of the wood that alters my perception?? ).
Of course I realy would love to add a Voyager to my studio but I´m short with money right now. So, I´was wondering if I would regret it, to give away one of the Minis and buy a Voyager?
Anybody with the same kind of decision problem out there?
sold the old for the new? how did it feel?

VCO

Re: Model D versus Voyager

Post by VCO » Wed Nov 22, 2023 3:39 pm

Don’t have a Minimoog let alone two. I have a voyager different sounding and different feature sets
The Voyager doesn’t go as high frequency wise as the Minimoog. It has sync and a dual modulation buss and has a dual stereo filter and stereo outs. Its modulation can do more than the Minimoogs modulation. It has the touch screen ,presets, FM and pot mapping. It can emulate the Minimoog and go places the Minimoog can’t . Different designs different sonic signatures. Both great synths in their own right. Some people say the voyager sounds darker. Don’t know what you paid for both minimoogs so possibly you might lose money although used voyagers might be less than your what Minimoog costs although there are some that are close in price to the 2022 Minimoog RI. Don’t know which years you have. The 2016 Minimoog RI was $3500 new and there are a lot of voyagers used going for $3,500 to $4,000. Some as high as $5,000. Of course all this pricing is relative to the condition and if the voyager was a limited edition . Some were select voyagers vs voyager performers which may be reflected in the price.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 23, 2023 1:26 am

The other thing I just remembered is that the voyager oscillator ranges are 32,16,8,4,2,and 1. The Minimoog doesn’t go to 1 like the voyager. If you had a Minimoog and a voyager you could get the high frequencies the voyager can’t from the Minimoog . And you could get sync on the voyager which the Minimoog doesn’t have. With the voyager you can use a dummy plug on one of the audio outs. I’ve read it makes the voyager sound more like a Minimoog. Between the two midied together I think you would get the best of both worlds
sonically and having 6 oscillators would give you as many oscillators as some Modular synths have.
I would assume together they would have an awesome sound between the modulation capabilities of the voyager and the traditional sound of the Minimoog you would have the best of both. Combined you would have the voyagers dual stereo filter combined with the stereo outs mixed with the minimoogs single audio out which would give you a unique sound.

oscarclark

Post by oscarclark » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:54 am

Roince wrote: Tue Nov 21, 2023 11:09 pm I call two minimoogs model D my own (with lintronics midi ).I know it´s a lot as most people don´t have a single one. I can do things like cross connect them (going with -lo out > ext.in-of the other Mini and vise verca) what makes some kind of crazy sort of distortion. Or have 6 OSC at once ... and each of the two Minimoogs sound slightly different (or is it just the different colour of the wood that alters my perception?? ).
Of course I realy would love to add a Voyager to my studio but I´m short with money right now. So, I´was wondering if I would regret it, to give away one of the Minis and buy a Voyager?
Anybody with the same kind of decision problem out there?
sold the old for the new? how did it feel?
Having two Minimoogs Model D is quite a unique setup, and it allows you to experiment with cross-connecting them and creating interesting sound combinations. The slight differences in sound between the two instruments could be attributed to various factors, including variations in components, calibration, or even perception influenced by external factors like the color of the wood.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:38 pm

They're both very different animals IMO.

I'd keep both model D's and just save up & buy a Voyager sometime. Then you could rule the world!! Mwahahaha!

But seriously....they compliment each other well, and once you stop trying to make a Voyager sound exactly like a model D, you can enjoy it for what it is.

till

Post by till » Sat Dec 09, 2023 7:14 am

I own a 1979 (SN above 10175 = Rev.3 VCO board) since the early eighties, a Voyager for 20 years and a 2016 Model D Reissue for nearly 7 years.
The Reissue Model D got THE Moog sound, due to using Minimoog Rev. 2 VCO boards as target, while the 1979 does not sound that bold. The Voyager sounds more like the Rev3 VCOs of a Model D. The Slew Rate mod I got did not change it to THE Minimoog sound. A unmodified Voyager sounds not as bright and bold as a Minimoog, Rev.3, and not even close to a Rev.2.

But the Voyager got its way more advanced modulation capabilities, full MIDI implementation (Reissue comes not even close), and finally patch memory.
So I would decide on the way you will use the Minimoog or Voyager.
If you are looking for THE Minimoog sound, you will have to keep the Minimoog, even if it is a SN above 10175.
If you play live and need to recall sounds by means of a push button, go for the Voyager. Also if you need more complex modulation to wide the sound palette or full MIDI to use DAW automation.

All in all, I never considered the Voyager a real Minimoog. But I guess most of the people are not able to tell the difference if not played in an A/B comparison.

As you got two Minimoogs like me, you may test the Voyager as companion. It will wide the modulation possibilities for sure.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16