Introduce yourself

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Memn1979

Introduce yourself

Post by Memn1979 » Thu Nov 16, 2023 2:23 am

Hi everyone,

I thought I would introduce myself, I live in Notthingham. I have a Sub 37, a Voyager XL, as well as an Etherwave Plus.

The Voyager XL only arrived today, and I have a feeling Im going to love learning how to "patch" this is all very new to me.

My ambition is learn, and hopefully create some interesting music with the instruments I have.

THanks.

stiiiiiiive

Re: Introduce yourself

Post by stiiiiiiive » Thu Nov 16, 2023 6:02 pm

Hi Memn1979 and welcome to the forum!

You have a great setup, I'm sure the Voyager XL will accept to be controlled with your Etherwave Plus CV out ;)

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Nov 16, 2023 11:06 pm

Welcome to the Moog Forum. I almost purchased a theremin but decided against it . Cool instrument but very difficult to play in a conventional way. Takes a lot of practice ,skill and dedication . I thought about using one in an unconventional
way using it to control my voyager. I even joined theremin world 🌍. Good resource on theremins. When I got my OBX8
my interest for the theremin diminished. I realizing I’m more of a keyboard player I decided it wouldn’t be worth it to invest the time required to learn how to play it. Cool instrument though. I always thought it could sound like a convincing violin 🎻 used in the classical music setting. It also makes great 50s science fiction sounds. From The Beach Boys to Led Zepplin to classical music to sound effects the theremin is a very unique instrument in its own rite.

eatertracted

Post by eatertracted » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:41 am

Hi everyone. I live in Las Vegas. I just joined today. Hope to learn many interesting things about musical instruments here. :D

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Fri Nov 17, 2023 2:52 am

Hi Memn1979 and a welcome from me as well.
I must admit that I am more on the engineers side than being a musician. I am owner of an original Moog Prodigy and a Minimoog Reissue has been parked in my studio by a friend.
I clone Moog Modular modules according to the original circuits, for me and for others as well. As Moog discontinued modulars and modules some years ago unfortunately I decided to ensure to be able to access an unlimited amount of Moog modules by building them myself. I cloned a complete Moog System 55 and have two additional Moog 960 sequencers parked in my studio as well. Perhaps I will build an additional sequencer wing with them some day.
My favorite electronic music are (beside Kraftwerk) the classic interpretations with Moog synthesizers of Isao Tomita. My own music productions are more on a harder technical level.
So welcome again and have fun :wink:

ArtPulis

Post by ArtPulis » Thu Dec 07, 2023 9:10 pm

I'm an 81 year old just getting started with keyboards. I play piano, (not well) but totally enjoy the challenge of learning anything new. I now have a Roland Fantom 08 and a Sequential Prophet Rev2. When my favorite store gets them back in stock, I'll be adding a Subsequent 37 to round out the group. (That is until GAS takes hold of me again.) Hopefully in a month I'll be playing with my new toy, but for now I'll be watching tutorials and watching the forum for tips.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:08 pm

Hi ArtPulis, welcome to the forum! :)

Congrats on learning a new thing! I'm more of a comfort zone person hence I have that kind of respect for people daring changing their habits and taking some risks.

I'm sure your Moog will make you happy, keep us informed of your endeavours!
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fwroberts

Post by fwroberts » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:10 pm

Hi all. I enjoy reading introductions to see what kind of people are reading and writing in the forum so I’ll take a moment to introduce myself.

I am retired, in my early 70s and much more of an engineer/programmer than I am a musician. In 1999 I bought a Korg Triton synthesizer which went into storage around 2003 and just came out about a year ago. My keyboard skills are “one finger at a time“ so I rely on MIDI, to realize anything serious. My real joy is creating new and unique sounds.

So why am I here in the MOOG forums? Before I get too old to enjoy it, I want to own and explore an analog synth. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to justify $10k for the Moog One, but I’m exploring.

Be curious, enjoy your life.

Rick

tomatohorse

Post by tomatohorse » Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 pm

Hi, I live in SC, USA and have a Matriarch that I love dearly and use in almost all my electronic music :mrgreen: I make electronic instrumental music under the name Prime Waves

I also make jazz fusion / funk music under the name Mellow Moon Man .

Currently looking at buying a Subsequent 37 so I don't have to take my Matriarch out gigging. :o

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:46 pm

fwroberts wrote: Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:10 pm Before I get too old to enjoy it, I want to own and explore an analog synth. I don’t know if I’ll ever be able to justify $10k for the Moog One, but I’m exploring.

Be curious, enjoy your life.

Rick
Hi Rick and welcome!
You may want to try out a synth less expensive than a One. First thing first: does it have to be polyphonic? If not, well you have a wide array of choices only in the Moog family.
"Be curious, enjoy your life" is a great motto :)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:47 pm

tomatohorse wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 9:48 pm Currently looking at buying a Subsequent 37 so I don't have to take my Matriarch out gigging. :o
Hi Tomatohorse, welcome to the forum!
Is there a particular reason you don't want to bring your Matriarch gigging anymore?
I can see you are aa multiinstrumentalist. I find the Moogs perfectly marry acoustic instruments, don't they?

fwroberts

Post by fwroberts » Thu Mar 14, 2024 10:30 am

stiiiiiiive wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:46 pm
Hi Rick and welcome!
You may want to try out a synth less expensive than a One. First thing first: does it have to be polyphonic? If not, well you have a wide array of choices only in the Moog family.
"Be curious, enjoy your life" is a great motto :)
Well, after reading the Moog One manual and watching deep dive YouTubes, I don’t know if I would be happy with anything else. Desire. It’s a powerful emotion isn’t it!

Rick

fwroberts

Post by fwroberts » Sun Mar 17, 2024 6:08 pm

I ordered from Sweetwater on Saturday and it’s arriving on my doorstep on Monday, tomorrow.

I’m pretty excited!

Rick