Issues syncing gates in DFAM?

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
AndyTussel

Issues syncing gates in DFAM?

Post by AndyTussel » Mon Nov 06, 2023 2:17 am

Having previously synchronized my DFAM through CV-Tools in Ableton, my preferred method involves utilizing a clock source on RUN/STOP (CV-Clock Out) and a separate rhythmic gate on TRIGGER. This configuration allows me to extend the sequence effortlessly.

Recently, I acquired an Arturia MiniBrute 2S, which can transmit multiple gate signals, making it an excellent companion to the DFAM. However, I've encountered an issue where the gate does not activate the trigger, even though the same signal advances the sequencer when connected to RUN/STOP.

According to the DFAM manual, both inputs support a 0V - 5V Gate (+10V Tolerant). Can someone shed light on the discrepancy? Why does the trigger not respond to the same gate that triggers the RUN/STOP function? Your insights and discussions are highly appreciated.

analogmonster

Re: Issues syncing gates in DFAM?

Post by analogmonster » Wed Nov 08, 2023 2:56 am

I am not a DFAM owner, but just some thoghts: Perhaps it is a timing problem or a matter of signal shoulders. A trigger normally needs an up AND a down to be complete. Moog terminology is misleading sometimes concerning this. The functions behind a GATE IN are active as long as the ON voltage is applied. This can be +5V (DFAM) or GND (modulars and others). My assumption is that your problem occurs as your GATE signals provide the ON voltage to start the sequencer and / or trigger, but the TRIGGER event is not completed as long as your GATE is on. Switching off the GATE voltages completes the trigger event, but disables the sequencer.
According to the DFAM user manual GATE needs a constant voltage (ON voltage), trigger a PULSE (meanung on and off).

TolanaAudery

Re: Issues syncing gates in DFAM?

Post by TolanaAudery » Fri Nov 10, 2023 8:39 am

The DFAM's trigger input is designed to receive a short pulse signal, while the run/stop input is designed to receive a longer signal. This means that the gate signal from the MiniBrute 2S is too long to trigger the DFAM, but it is short enough to advance the sequencer.

To get the MiniBrute 2S's gate signal to trigger the DFAM, you can use a gate converter to shorten the pulse. There are many different gate converters available, both in hardware and software.

If you are using a software gate converter, such as the one built into Ableton Live, you can simply adjust the length of the gate until it triggers the DFAM.

If you are using a hardware gate converter, you will need to set the gate length to a very short setting. Some gate converters have a dedicated trigger output, which is ideal for this application.

Once you have shortened the gate signal, you should be able to use the MiniBrute 2S to trigger the DFAM's envelope generators.

Here are some additional tips for troubleshooting the DFAM trigger input:

Make sure that the gate signal from the MiniBrute 2S is at least 5V.
Try using a different cable to connect the two modules.
Try connecting the gate signal from the MiniBrute echat 2S to a different trigger input on the DFAM.
If you are using a software gate converter, make sure that it is set to output a gate signal of the correct length.
If you are still having trouble getting the DFAM trigger input to work, you can contact Moog Music customer support for assistance.