Product Recommendation/Request

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Sir_Tarquin

Product Recommendation/Request

Post by Sir_Tarquin » Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:51 am

The Minimoog Model D has been my long time favorite synth. However, the chances of me every being able to afford one, including the reissues, is highly unlikely. And after getting the chance to play one a few month ago, I've realized being able to own the actual real thing is more of a luxury "nice to have" sort of item for me, because the specific thing that makes me love it is really just the sound of its oscillators and cutoff frequency (it just has a unique 'bite' that no other Moog has.)

In reality, a much smaller and easily portable desktop unit like the Minitaur makes much more sense for me and my use cases. And honestly, I really do not need anything more complex than the Minitaur either.

So, what I would love to see and would purchase immediately, is a synth that's sorta like the Minitaur in terms of its form factor and (somewhat) stripped-down simplicity, but with the same oscillators and cutoff freq as the Model D.

I realize I am just a single consumer and you're one on the most prestigious and oldest commercial synth giants (don't know anyone with any decision making power will even read this), but I still wanted to pitch my synth wishes to you just in case :wink:

florencepugh

Re: Product Recommendation/Request

Post by florencepugh » Tue Nov 21, 2023 12:10 am

I recommend checking out the Moog Minitaur, which is a smaller and more portable synth that still sounds great. It is not the same as the Model D,fnf but it has a similar sound and is a great option for musicians who need a more compact synth.

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Thu Nov 23, 2023 3:27 am

Sir_Tarquin wrote: Fri Nov 03, 2023 11:51 am So, what I would love to see and would purchase immediately, is a synth that's sorta like the Minitaur in terms of its form factor and (somewhat) stripped-down simplicity, but with the same oscillators and cutoff freq as the Model D.
Oscillators: no, filter / cutoff: yes. I checked the service manual. The sound of the Minitaur should be similar / identical compared to the Mini, as the filter as the most sound influencing component is the famous Moog ladder filter, which I consider as the best low pass filter ever.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Sat Nov 25, 2023 10:44 pm

Moog Sirin would be my choice: Minitaur is really designed for bass & can't get high notes like the Sirin. Otherwise I believe they sound quite similar.