Please help me determine if Grandmother LFO/FM issues are normal

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Crabcakes

Please help me determine if Grandmother LFO/FM issues are normal

Post by Crabcakes » Wed Oct 11, 2023 5:21 pm

I've had the Grandmother for a couple of months and I'm pretty sure both of these issues were present from the beginning and I'm just curious if this is normal or if I should get it serviced.

Issue #1 - LFO: On powerup, the LFO is usually not functional for a while. If I patch it's output to Noise In, there is no audio. Also the rate indicator is steady, and switching waveforms only makes the light brighter or darker. Eventually it seems too come to life. Although sometimes I've grown impatient and did a power cycle a few minutes after powering on, and that seems to do the trick. Otherwise I venture a guess that I'm waiting 20 minutes on average.

Issue #2 - FM: I've found significant differences between how FM tracks on Osc1 versus Osc2. Basically Osc1 is much more stable across a wider octave range.

I've tested this out by using the same waveforms for each and tuning them basically exactly and then applied the same FM source, from the Modulation LFO, and especially at higher depths Osc2 tends to get atonal and unpredictable in both directions much quicker and less logical seeming than Osc1.

If I have 3 octaves of stable FM on Osc1 using high depth (modwheel), I might get as little as a few notes worth on Osc2. On lower depths it can be good enough to where I get over two octaves of useable FM when combining both oscillators.

I've even tried modulating Osc2 using Osc1 (and vice versa) and Osc1 always comes up way more stable across a wider range. Perhaps related to this is the LIN FM In is not as usable as I hoped. If i use the attenuator for it, I typically can't venture too far out from 12 o'clock.

Hopefully a helpful Grandmother user can chime in whether this is the same or not on their end. Also, curious about any theories why the FM should track differently. I'll add that outside of FM, both oscillators track identically across the keyboard so it doesn't seem due to pitch tracking variation internal to the oscillators, but rather just when FM is being applied to Osc2.