Cutoff potentiometer/knob replacement?

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
shhh23

Cutoff potentiometer/knob replacement?

Post by shhh23 » Thu Oct 05, 2023 3:22 am

Has anyone ever actually opened up the Matriarch and replaced the cutoff potentiometer? I'd really love for mine to have way more tactile resistance, it's just super loose, same issue as here: viewtopic.php?t=34617&sid=24ab2fb875442 ... 7d5ab686fc — in fact when I first received it I thought it must be damaged, but Moog and Thomann reassured it's 100% in specs. Never understood why Moog made it loose while the others have beautiful, smooth resistance.

Would it be complicated to open up the Matriarch? Are there any threads about it?

TingxoGamchu

Re: Cutoff potentiometer/knob replacement?

Post by TingxoGamchu » Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:55 am

Yes, it is possible to replace the cutoff potentiometer in the Matriarch. It is not a complicated process, but it does require some basic soldering skills. There are a few threads about it on the Moog forum.

Here is a brief overview of the process:

Remove the bottom panel of the Matriarch.
Locate the cutoff potentiometer. It is a small, blue potentiometer located on the main circuit board.
Desolder the old potentiometer.
Solder in the new potentiometer.
Replace the bottom panel of the Matriarch.
You can find replacement potentiometers online or at most electronics stores. Be sure to choose a potentiometer with the same resistance as the original potentiometer.

Here are some additional tips for replacing the cutoff potentiometer in the Matriarch:

Make sure that the new potentiometer is the same size as the original potentiometer.
Be careful not to overheat the circuit board when soldering.
Use a heat sink to protect the circuit board from heat damage.
Test the new potentiometer before replacing the bottom panel.
If you are not comfortable soldering, you can take the Matriarch to a qualified technician to have the cutoff potentiometer replaced.

Here are some additional tips for using the Matriarch:

The cutoff potentiometer is used to control the brightness of the sound. Turning the potentiometer clockwise will make the sound brighter. Turning the potentiometer counterclockwise will make the sound darker.
The cutoff potentiometer can also be used to create effects such as sweeps and filters.
Experiment with different settings to find the sound that you like best.
I hope this helps!

ortho

Post by ortho » Fri Oct 20, 2023 5:25 pm

TingxoGamchu wrote: Wed Oct 18, 2023 6:55 am Remove the bottom panel of the Matriarch.
Locate the cutoff potentiometer. It is a small, blue potentiometer located on the main circuit board....
I hope this helps!
Hi TingxoGamchu

A small blue potentiometer, really? My qualified technician is having trouble locating it. He was able to remove the bottom panel per your instructions.

What value potentiometer did you end up going with when you performed this replacement on your Matriarch?

pmumble

Post by pmumble » Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:03 pm

Pretty sure that's an AI bot.