"How accessible is Moog Slim Phatty for the blind?"

Everything Phatty.
stiiiiiiive

Re: "How accessible is Moog Slim Phatty for the blind?"

Post by stiiiiiiive » Tue Oct 17, 2023 6:29 pm

Hi HoumirKinkar!

I must say it's a very difficult exercise for me, even if I'm quite short sighted!
What I can say is this.

The buttons and knobs should be usable: the panel is quite clear, commands are well spaced and not to numerous: four sections with each one (circular) potentiometer and 2-8 buttons.
I guess the functions of the buttons can be memorized easily.

One word about visual feedback and pot mapping: the principle of the interface is that you press a button in a section to have the potentiometer of this section controlling the matching parameter. BUT... there is a functionality called "pot mapping" that allows a potentiometer to control any other parameter, even in another section. Here's how to use it, when the assignation has already been made in a given preset: you press the lit button in a section so that it goes unlit; when all buttons are unlit, you control the parameter "pot mapped" to this section's potentiometer. It means thatthe interface it designed so that you rely on the visual feedback to determine if you are controlling the button parameter or the pot-mapped one. That being said, to be sure you control the button's one, you can just press any other button and press the desired one again. It seems complictaed but it's easier than my explanation :D First because of the trick itslef, and second because pot mapping is far from mandatory. You can do without.

Now, the trickiest part is the left side, screen related, part of the interface. It's where you manage preset selection and saving as well as all the under-the-hood parameters: global settings, MIDI/SYSEX, arpeggiattor, advanced sound params, LFO sync settings, pot mapping assignation etc.
If you can live with a unique parameter set for all this, and if you can manage changing presets by hear of number memorization, it can be used... but honestly, that's the most diificult part for me to asset.
Oh, and you *must* set the "fine tune" button so that it does not act when accidentally moved. That's possible, as far as I remember.

Bottom line: if you don't need to go under the hood on a regular basis, and if you consider the synth as a preset-less one, it's totally possible. Going further may lead to more difficulties depending on what you want to do.

A trial is the best idea I can suggest, obviously.
Hope this helps!

Astheologos

Post by Astheologos » Sun Oct 29, 2023 6:11 am

You can control the Slim Phatty whith a midi controller!

I think all can be reached via Midi CC

This can be done by a midi controller such as Behringer BRC2000.

Once programmed all you have to do is remember the BCR2000's controls and buttons! ;-)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Oct 29, 2023 9:27 am

True, but I doubt this is easier than using the SP interface itself... Doesn't it add a step, or a complexity layer? Not sure.

Anyway, our original poster, HoumirKinkar, seems to have removed their post, so the context is gone, forever gone... :D