MAVIS sequencing noob question with Akai Mini Plus

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Silber10101

MAVIS sequencing noob question with Akai Mini Plus

Post by Silber10101 » Sun Sep 03, 2023 5:28 pm

Hi all,

I'm a complete newbie with my first analog (Mavis) and I'm trying to get the Akai Mini Plus sequencer to work with the Mavis to no avail. Does anyone know how to get this running? I have the Pitch, Gate, Mod all working and clock out from the Akai to the Mavis (not sure if I'm in the right input tbh) but can't seem to get it to work.

Thanks in advance.

Almost Aviation

Re: MAVIS sequencing noob question with Akai Mini Plus

Post by Almost Aviation » Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:50 pm

This is a bit late, so maybe you're sorted now. I don't have that sequencer but maybe you need to check it sends the right gate format. I have my MAVIS connected to a KeyStep Pro and I have the gate format set to 'V-trig 5V', which works. (The other options are 'V-trig 12V' and 'S-Trig'. S-Trig doesn't work - it looks like a much lower voltage - and I didn't try the 12V one cos it sounds bad :) You don't need a clock.
MarkH

analogmonster

Post by analogmonster » Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:56 am

Almost Aviation wrote: Wed Nov 29, 2023 2:50 pm S-Trig doesn't work - it looks like a much lower voltage
The reason is that there is *no* voltage at all at the S-Trig. An S-Trig is a current sink, and no voltage source like V-Trigs. In each and every aspect the complete opposite. If you connect a (Moog) S-Trig Output of one device to a V-Gate Input of another device you connect two sinks together - so nothing happens at all.

Almost Aviation

Post by Almost Aviation » Thu Nov 30, 2023 5:57 am

analogmonster wrote: Thu Nov 30, 2023 1:56 am The reason is that there is *no* voltage at all at the S-Trig. An S-Trig is a current sink, and no voltage source like V-Trigs. In each and every aspect the complete opposite. If you connect a (Moog) S-Trig Output of one device to a V-Gate Input of another device you connect two sinks together - so nothing happens at all.
Well okay, it's just words to me. I see a little blip on my oscilloscope, hence the observation.
MarkH

PhysicsT

Post by PhysicsT » Sat Mar 30, 2024 8:04 am

Hi There,

I'm trying to do the exact same thing and as a non modular expert, the kind responses so far have not been of much help.

Again, this is trying to sequence a Mavis with an MPK mini plus. There seems to be no issue making the Mavis make sounds, but when it comes to sequencing, the sequence never plays back...

PhysicsT

Post by PhysicsT » Sat Mar 30, 2024 9:28 am

Update.

So, from what I've found so far, you can sequence the Mavis no problem using the MPK mini plus, but you have to setup the CV settings to send Key sequence. The limitation is that in that mode, you can no longer use the keys on the MPK to just make sounds when pressed, at that point it will only send the sequence.

The next thing I'm trying to work out is how to sync my Maschine+ BPM to th MPK so that my Maschine tempo is driving the BPM of the sequence.