Should I get a Moog sound studio?

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
milton10

Should I get a Moog sound studio?

Post by milton10 » Sat Aug 05, 2023 8:09 am

I wanted to get a Korg Modwave and an Arturia mini brute 2s but now that the Moog sound studio is discounted I don't know what to get since It's practically the same price. (IF not a bit less if I buy the sound studio with the mother)

I don't have any other synths. Should I stick to Modwave and Minibrute or go for one of the Moog studios?

Ps: don't recommend other synths please I'm already overwhelmed.

pmumble

Re: Should I get a Moog sound studio?

Post by pmumble » Sun Aug 06, 2023 11:47 am

Depends on how comfortable you are with having no patch memory and monophonic voices. Are you using softsynths to supplement?

The Sound Studio is amazing but you should really understand how different it is from something like a Modwave if it's your first synth. If you do choose the Sound Studio make sure you get a Mother in it. It's the most flexible one tonally. I first bought a SS with just DFAM and Subharmonicon and felt very limited until I expanded it with the Mother.

MaxFerency

Post by MaxFerency » Mon Aug 07, 2023 10:54 am

I would agree that those are two very different types of synths so it depends on what you want. Here are some questions:

1. Are you already a keyboard player? Is playing a keyboard something you already know how to do well (or want to learn better)? Sound Studio is awesome (I have a DFAM and Mavis) but a very different playing experience than my keyboard synths.

2. Are you more interesting in re-producible patches or exploring sounds and rhythms? A modwave would be good for performances where you want to be able to quickly pull-up in a performance what you created before. If you want to explore sounds and rhythms that may be different each time (either at home or on stage) a Sound Studio would be great.
Max Ferency | http://maxferency.org | max [at] maxferency [dot] org
SYSTEM: macOS & Logic X Pro
GEAR: Matriarch, Sub 37, Korg SV-2, DFAM, MF Drive, MF Delay, MF Boost, Roland RC-202

journalicky

Post by journalicky » Thu Sep 07, 2023 3:31 am

It all depends on how at ease you are with no patch memory and monophonic voices. Are you supplementing with softsynths? geometry dash world You should think about some of the following details. A modwave would be useful for performances if you want to be able to rapidly pull-up what you created previously in a performance. A Sound Studio would be ideal if you wish to experiment with different sounds and rhythms (either at home or on stage).