Minitaur Presets Not Updating on Hardware After Send

Welcome to the Taurus, Minitaur and Sirin Forum
aabrahamson

Minitaur Presets Not Updating on Hardware After Send

Post by aabrahamson » Fri Jul 28, 2023 10:58 am

I have the editor working to change parameters on the hardware and to Get presets from the hardware but updating presets on the hardware unit is unsuccessful.

This is my procedure:

Make changes to a preset using the Minitaur editor.
Those changes are reflected as expected on the hardware unit when I send Midi note data (i.e. I hear the changes when the hardware unit plays notes)
Drag the edited preset from the Preset Library to the Hardware Presets slot 002 on the editor with Auto Send off.
The preset name is now reflected in the slot on the hardware in italic.
Click send.
Italics are removed from the preset name on the hardware, indicating successful update.
Unplug USB and power cycle the Minitaur.
Manually navigate to preset 002
The sound saved in preset 002 is unchanged from before the Minitaur editor update.

I've done this a half dozen times with minor variations and no success.
I'm on Windows 10 and have the Minitaur driver installed.
Has anyone else experienced this and found a solution?

aabrahamson

Re: Minitaur Presets Not Updating on Hardware After Send

Post by aabrahamson » Fri Aug 11, 2023 4:13 pm

I finally figured this out. Sort of embarrassing user error based on the method of accessing presets on the Minitaur.

Before using the editor I regularly saved presets and recalled presets on the hardware based on the number of button presses (e.g. three presses to get to preset three).

This worked fine as long as I was using only the hardware.

Trouble was I hadn't paid explicit attention to the direction of advancing through presets.
It was natural for me to use Osc 2 to go forward and Osc 1 to go backward (the reverse of the actual directions).
I thought I was saving and accessing presets 1,2,3....
I was actually using 127,126,125...
From the user perspective this was completely transparent until I was trying to access the 'real' preset 2 as opposed to the preset 126 which I thought was preset 2.

It hadn't occurred to me that going 'backward' from the panel settings preset took you to 127 or I might have noticed earlier.

Anyhow, posting this on the off chance that someone else happens to do the same thing and so that the editor doesn't have an unfair notch against it's reputation.