Moog Little Phatty SEII midi over USB to TE OP-1

Everything Phatty.
Roger Paolo

Moog Little Phatty SEII midi over USB to TE OP-1

Post by Roger Paolo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 2:42 am

Hey there,

Before I start ordering cables I thought I'd ask the following question here.

I would like to connect 3 machines via midi, a Moog Little Phatty SE II (on 3.21 sw), An Elektron Octatrack (OT) and a Teenage Engineering OP-1. Now the OT and the LP have din ports, so far so good. the OP-1 sends and receives midi over a usb-mini connector. I was thinking to use the Moog's midi board (which has DIN as well as USB) to couple the OP-1 to the other 2. So I would connect a USB-B to USB-mini cable between the Moog and the OP-1, and use the Moog's Midi merge capability to forward the OT sequencers midi etc. to the OP-1. And eventually, vice versa to use the OP-1's midi out to control the LP and the OT.

will this setup work? essentially, the Moog becomes the midi host in this setup...

till

Re: Moog Little Phatty SEII midi over USB to TE OP-1

Post by till » Tue Jul 11, 2023 3:47 am

A USB connection needs one unit to act as a host and the other as client to work. Hosts are usually a computer or touch pad. The Moog is not a host. I is, as indicated by the USB-B port, a USBB client. And the Teenage Engineering OP-1 is also a client, as USB mini connectors are not used for hosts.

A typical USB Host got a USB-A socket. Newer ones may use USB typ C.

There are some little units available o act as a USB host in between USB client to client connections available. But some of this have problems connecting MIDI streams via USB.

So you need a USB host like a computer for this. And some software able to route the MIDI stream.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Roger Paolo

Re: Moog Little Phatty SEII midi over USB to TE OP-1

Post by Roger Paolo » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:50 am

right. I guess I already expected this so wanted to check. Well then, I will try to use my iPad as the midi host, connected to a usb hub, running an app that can route midi.

the thing is though that my ipad (with an M1 processor) does not recognize my moog. I thougth the usb midi board was broken, but on my intel iMac the Moog's usb midi works flawless. Also on my M2 macbook air the LP's USB midi doesn't work. Is this a known problem?