model d measurement

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
cnourkeys

model d measurement

Post by cnourkeys » Sun Jul 09, 2023 10:13 am

Hello there, What is the Measurement of the moog model D Height. I know it says 5.75 on the webpage but it looks like the Height closer to the keys is less than the back. Anyone help me out. Trying to size up a case. Thanks!

stiiiiiiive

Re: model d measurement

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jul 09, 2023 4:34 pm

Hi!

Not sure what you are asking for: the height indicated in the manual must be the "total" height with panel set flat.
If the keys are lower than that, they will fit anyways, am I wrong?

till

Post by till » Tue Jul 11, 2023 4:02 am

Measurements taken from a 2017 Minimoog Reissue. My vintage 1979 Minimoog is slightly lower in max height, as the panel lays down perfectly parallel to the side panels. The Reissues I own have a slightly angled position when in the lowest position.

It is about 143 mm (about 5.63") from the top of the knobs of the panel to the bottom of the rubber feets.
It is about 102 mm (about 4") from the top of the white keys to the bottom of the rubber feets.
It is about 112 mm (about 4.41") from the top of the black keys to the bottom of the rubber feets.

The side panel has a slope from the user end of the panel to the front of the instrument. It is about 128 mm (about 5.04") from the top of the side panel at the part close to the knob panel to the bottom of the rubber feets.
And about 95 mm (about 3.74") fro the top of the side panel at the front end to the bottom of the rubber feets.

The Rubber feets are about 12 mm (about ½") in height (and included in all the measurements above).

For a perfect fit of a flight case, you may have to wait for a Minimoog to arrive. And remember to have some extra space to fit the needed external PSU with its cable inside the flight case.

The vintage Minimoogs got an internal PSU, but the cable was nondetachable :-(
The Reissues (both versions) got an external one :-(
I would have preferred a built in PSU with a detachable power cord for all MInimoog versions.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

Doddos

Post by Doddos » Sun Aug 13, 2023 4:53 pm

Best way to size up a case (hard case i guess?) is to have your own instrument to take measures on, and eventually make adjustments during the building. The can differ somewhat in dimensions due to tolerances in wood parts and assembly. The slightly angled position of the panel might differ between the reissues as well. The difference is due to the black foam parts that is glued underneath the panel. My last reissue is flat and parallel to the side panel, but the one I had before was slightly tilted. It's an easy fix to adjust the panel totally flat if preferred - just cut or replace the foam parts to a lower height.

I built a hard case for my minimoog (2022 re) in plywood and covered it with a black fabric that looked like tolex/skin, plus metal corners, locks and a handle. I covered the inside of the case with a soft, chock absorbing materiaI plus some extra space for the external psu. I designed the case for transportation and live use, it's possible to play the moog without having to take the instrument out from the case, e.g if I put it on a stand. I just lift of the lid.
It took me some time to make the case but the cost was less than 1/10 of the original moog flight case.