Subharmonicon VCO 1 and 2 Three Semi-Tones apart

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Oculist

Subharmonicon VCO 1 and 2 Three Semi-Tones apart

Post by Oculist » Wed Jun 07, 2023 7:47 am

I have a brand new SubH. Unfortunately, the VCOs are not in tune with each other. I have run the audio into Ableton with the Tuner Utility to check the outputs. I have done this with the sequencer disengaged from the VCOs so the sequencer tuning will have no effect. All subharmonic oscillators are at zero volume and are at unison so no PWM. These comparisons are using the pure square wave tones from VCO1 and VCO 2. The unit has had a chance to warm up. The patchbay is empty.

When scale quantisation is at 8-ET, and the VCO 1 dial is at 12 o’clock, it plays an A. It plays an A# in 12-ET. The VCO 2 plays a C at both 8-ET and 12-ET, as expected.

As you turn the dials clockwise, the differential tuning persists although they do get closer, moreso in 8-ET than 12-ET.

If you go maximally anticlockwise, they both play a lower C but there’s a mismatch between 12 o’clock and maximal anticlockwise at other gradation markers.

I have tried globally fine tuning as per the manual but the differential persists. I have contacted Moog Customer Services in Europe. In the meantime, is this normal? I know analogue oscillators can be a bit iffy but three semi-tones difference at 12 o’clock seems a bit too much.

Oculist

Re: Subharmonicon VCO 1 and 2 Three Semi-Tones apart

Post by Oculist » Thu Jun 22, 2023 3:01 am

Ah well, Moog Europe CS never got back to me so it's been sent back for a refund to the retailer.

That was the second MSS3 that I had - the first one was missing rack fixings so the retailer replaced the whole lot with a new box. This second box was missing patch cables, patch templates and the SubH had the misfiring VCO.

Not a good look for Moog's quality control but I was willing to let them try and offer a fix.