How do you know if your Voyager has the slew rate mod?

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Ladder_Noise

How do you know if your Voyager has the slew rate mod?

Post by Ladder_Noise » Thu Apr 27, 2023 5:10 pm

Hi Moog folks, a couple of months ago I acquired a pristine all white Moog Voyager from 2013, it sounds and looks fantastic, but I was wondering, since I bought it used, how do you know if your Voyager has the slew rate mod? is there a special change in the software that can tell you that? or is it the sound only that might tell you that the synth has been mod?
Appreciate any info on the subject.
Cheers!

VCO

Re: How do you know if your Voyager has the slew rate mod?

Post by VCO » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:47 am

I have an all white Moog Voyager. It’s the lunar impact one. I have OS 3.5. I purchased mine used in 2015 from a music store. I don’t believe I have the modification. I think that would have to be done later . I don’t think they come from the moog factory that way. I think some people install the mod themselves or of course have someone else install it.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Apr 28, 2023 7:50 am

I purchased mine from a store and not an individual. My voyager was returned to the store. That’s how I acquired it.

ummagumma

Post by ummagumma » Fri Apr 28, 2023 5:35 pm

That's a good question. I don't think you could verify unless you opened it up & checked the IC's & circuit. Moog did revisions over the years that covered some of the same things, but not all, as the slew rate mod. The factory & authorized repair centers did the mod AFAIK.

Usually a seller will disclose that it's been done, as it's desirable.

There may be an oscilloscope test on the waveforms you could do? Mine isn't modded though, so I couldn't tell you

till

Post by till » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:59 am

You can hear the difference in an A/B test easily. But describing it in words to test is hard to or impossible to do. the modified Voyager just sounds more Minimoog alike. I got the slew rate mod here. But I can't tell you what OP-amps and capacitors where changed.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

soundsubs

Post by soundsubs » Sun Apr 30, 2023 1:16 pm

I had the slew-rate mod done on an Old School (OS) about 3 months ago.
It was audible, but you had to know what to listen for. I wasn't expecting it to sound so "bright" with more upper harmonics.
If you look at the sawtooth wave on an oscilloscope, you can see that the peaks (and valleys) are sharper. This results in more high frequencies, visible when looking for it.

Ladder_Noise

Post by Ladder_Noise » Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:39 am

Alright, thanks for all the replies, and sorry for not checking the forum sooner, I was a bit off forums, anyways, I found this Voyager RME that was modded by Rudi Linhard, and as you see in the picture, the display of the voyager says Moog Music Inc by Rudi Linhard, https://reverb.com/item/60466827-minimo ... dded?bk=so probably this is the probe we need if the Voyager was modded or not, maybe the Voyagers modded by the Moog factory don't say anything in the display?

till

Post by till » Wed Jun 14, 2023 4:14 am

Ladder_Noise wrote: Mon Jun 12, 2023 6:39 am Alright, thanks for all the replies, and sorry for not checking the forum sooner, I was a bit off forums, anyways, I found this Voyager RME that was modded by Rudi Linhard, and as you see in the picture, the display of the voyager says Moog Music Inc by Rudi Linhard, https://reverb.com/item/60466827-minimo ... dded?bk=so probably this is the probe we need if the Voyager was modded or not, maybe the Voyagers modded by the Moog factory don't say anything in the display?
No, this is not saying a thing about the slew rate or other mods. Rudi Linhard did all the digital part of the Moog Voyager and its OS. So this is why this is shown on all Voyagers (of cause except on the Old School).
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16