Just having fun

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
Filipe

Just having fun

Post by Filipe » Wed Apr 26, 2023 1:35 pm

VCO

Re: Just having fun

Post by VCO » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:02 am

Like your utube demo. I saw a caption that said JAN Hammer. I remember the Jeff Beck album there and back. I also remember Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer trading solos on wired. It’s amazing what a little bit if delay can do for the Minimoog voyager.

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:06 am

There are some preset patch’s on the voyager that mention Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer in the description. Can’t remember the name though. My voyager has 896 presets and 3.5 OS

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:24 am

VCO wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 1:06 am Like your utube demo. I saw a caption that said JAN Hammer. I remember the Jeff Beck album there and back. I also remember Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer trading solos on wired. It’s amazing what a little bit if delay can do for the Minimoog voyager.
There are some preset patch’s on the voyager that mention Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer in the description. Can’t remember the name though. My voyager has 896 presets and 3.5 OS
Thank you VCO.
You are certainly right, specially when you go soloing a little delay does a lot.
I think I have the same problem you have with those presets: they are very good, I even succeeded in putting them together, but then I forgot the place.
Anyway on this one I used a single vco with filter wide open and low resonance; a little glide; pitchbend 'down' with 2 octaves, pitchbend 'up' with 2 semitones. And there you have it.
Cheers

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:33 pm

I believe those patchs that mention Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer have a sync sound to them . Jan Hammer many years ago had his minimoog modified so he could wear it around his neck. I have a Roland AX1 keytar. I’ve midied it to my voyager , the Roland AX1 being the master and the voyager being the slave. I have a guitar strap that connects to the
aX1 . The AX1 has a bar for modulation and a ribbon for pitch. It’s different in the sense that I can move my finger a small amount and get a vibrato effect. It’s different than a pitch wheel . It’s also different to play with a strap at an angle.
The voyager has a better synth keyboard action . I would play a lot of pentatonic scales. They seemed to work well in that application. Also not having a spring loaded pitch wheel and instead having the ribbon to bend notes is more like a sliding approach to pitch bending.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Fri Apr 28, 2023 6:40 am

IMG_2473.jpeg
IMG_2472.jpeg
VCO wrote: Thu Apr 27, 2023 9:33 pm I believe those patchs that mention Jeff Beck and Jan Hammer have a sync sound to them . Jan Hammer many years ago had his minimoog modified so he could wear it around his neck. I have a Roland AX1 keytar. I’ve midied it to my voyager , the Roland AX1 being the master and the voyager being the slave. I have a guitar strap that connects to the
aX1 . The AX1 has a bar for modulation and a ribbon for pitch. It’s different in the sense that I can move my finger a small amount and get a vibrato effect. It’s different than a pitch wheel . It’s also different to play with a strap at an angle.
The voyager has a better synth keyboard action . I would play a lot of pentatonic scales. They seemed to work well in that application. Also not having a spring loaded pitch wheel and instead having the ribbon to bend notes is more like a sliding approach to pitch bending.
That is interesting. I have Korg RK-100S 2 and I recognise the controls you mention, but I did not have the opportunity to try it properly yet.
I found two of the presets you mentioned, <Sync> and <Interval> respective categories. They are one different places than yours because I use os 3.6 and I moved them anyway.

VCO

Post by VCO » Fri Apr 28, 2023 3:45 pm

That’s the presets. I wonder what capabilities and features 3,6 OS gives the voyager. I’m always weary of firmware upgrades. I worry it might change things I’m not aware of . So I don’t upgrade. Do you prefer the 3.6 OS to the 3.5?
I don’t know much about the 3.6 OS. I remember some people talking about it but I didn’t take notice of what changes were implemented. With that Roland AX1 controller I thought about purchasing a wireless midi device so I would be able to move around freely and not have the restraintsof the midi cables but I never opted to. I play the voyager better and my performance is better since I play it in a traditional way. Having a midi controller and a guitar strap is very different since it’s at an angle. The synth action on the Roland AX1 can’t compete with the voyager s. The voyagers action is quick and responsive enabling me to play faster passages than the Roland AX1. That AX1 is old. I believe some of those keytars
had a synth engine as well. My Roland AX1 doesn’t. It’s been along time since I purchased my Roland AX1. The AX1 can be powered with batteries or a power adapter. When I first got my voyager I tried it with the AX1. I don’t know what’s available currently with keytars. I do remember that korg one. Its body design looked different than the AX1. I also bought a guitar case for it. I think that this AX1 might be 25 years old. I haven’t goggled it though. My AX1 is black. I even had strap locks that you put on guitars. I think Jan Hammers Minimoog that he wore with a strap was simply a Minimoog model D that was modded. I would think it would have been real heavy. I remember reading about his rig in keyboard magazine many years ago. I think the magazine was called contemporary keyboard back in the day before they changed the name. I can remember when I was in 7th grade and delivered newspapers and the newsstand had magazines as well. I can remember chick corea on the cover of contemporary keyboard playing a Rhodes and having a clavinet. I think this was before the Rhodes flat top on the mark 2s. Chick like Jan were both masters of the Minimoog.
I remember the Minimoog parts on return to forever. Jan and Chick had different sounds. But the Rhodes and the Minimoog changed the musical landscape and brought forth jazz rock fusion istarting in the 70s.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Sat Apr 29, 2023 11:08 am

About the about the 3.6 OS: I had it installed in a repair in 2014 and only recently updated to the last (2017) version.
Time flies; I did not spend enough time with it to give you a concrete opinion. There are some enhancements and more space for presets, but do you need it? Because the update never left the beta version.
About the keytars, I got used to the angle very early since someone presented me with a Yamaha CS-01. It looks like a toy but has a good sound (CEM 33.... chips) and is very versatile. C. Corea used it live. Its keys are small, so fingers can get in the way. It still works :-)
At he time of Liberation or Yamaha KX5 I could not afford such stuff. The Liberation pointed the way and KX5 is in my opinion the ultimate keytar, specially in key size: you can play it fast without having finger jam.
Later I bought an Alesis Vortex I, interesting - you can assign inclination to a control message. Key action is not the best and key size is awkward. It is enjoyable, albeit a little machine-gun looking.
Never applied any keytar to the voyager; the instrument itself is so sexy looking that it beats any keytar. Still I will give it a try someday.
More recently I acquired a Yamaha SHS-500 which has its own tone generator and usb audio output. The keys are on the small side but still it is very handy and playable.
The last on the list is the Korg RK-100S 2, wooden, heavy, with synth engine, with a key size next to ideal - but I still have to get used to its big ribbon controller.
I use tem all with a common black strap. Guitarists hate them, specially with the kinds of tones I use :D
Last edited by Filipe on Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Apr 29, 2023 3:50 pm

I remember that CS 01. I had one. I believe it was a grey color with sliders.Those have to be really old. I had put some money down on a Roland SH101 that looked like a keytar when I lived in Boston. Mass. Never paid it off or picked it up. It was at Daddy’s Junky Music I believe that was what it was called. The prophet 5 was the rage then. Couldn’t afford it then. I think that CS01 could run off batteries. That was around the time I was checking out Wired with Jeff and Jan. I also remember playing the the Rhodes Chroma at EU Wurlitzer’s around the corner. I was a few streets over from the combat zone.
A bad area in Boston. I was in the back Bay Area at the Berklee College of Music. I remember going over to MIT and this guy had an orginal ARP 2600. The only time I’ve ever seen one in person in my life. I remember a guy on my floor loaned an effect pedal to Mike Stern who was performing there at the school. I believe his group was vital information. This was so long ago but that’s when I had the CS01. Can’t remember what happened to it though that was so long ago. I also traded a. Rhodes mark 2 with flat top for a polymoog keyboard that had a custom case with wheels. My Rhodes was almost new and the polymoog keyboard was old. It wasn’t the Synthisizer polymoog it was the polymoog keyboard which wasn’t as good and relied on presets. I t had a ribbon as well. I didn’t think it sounded that good but I wanted a poly synth and I couldn’t afford anything new like the prophet 5. My main synths for soloing are the voyager and the PRO3. I used to have a PRO 1 around 1981. Should have kept it. Can’t remember what became of it.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sat Apr 29, 2023 4:01 pm

You seem to be big into keytars. I sometimes would use the Roland keytar with my Korg Z1 synth. The models of analog
Synths are pretty good. My pitch wheel is messed up it got jammed from a fall. I would use the Roland as themaster controller midied up to the Z1 as a slave. I have the Roland JP8080 and the Yamaha AN1X . They sound good but can’t compete with the voyager or the PRO3 or OBX8 that I have. Analog Rules LOL.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Sun Apr 30, 2023 4:22 pm

IMG_2500.jpeg
You have played some memorable beasts!
The Chrome in particular always fascinated me but I never put my hands on one.
And you are very well equipped now.
You're right: some digital are very interesting. Still,
Analog rules! :D

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue May 02, 2023 9:40 pm

Wow there it is. Even could be used with a breath controller. That’s like a trip down memory lane. Synths have come such a long way since then. I have a vl70m I believe that’s what it’s called that I used to use with a breath controller. It’s not 19 inch it’s just a module like the korg X5DR. The most rare synth I own is an ensoniq fizmo. Near virgin condition. I only played it a few times. It’s a trans wave synth. It still has a sticker on it from 1997. There’s a problem with a voltage regulator that’s out of spec I’ve read about. I’m not sure if I have the correct one or not. I don’t have the power adapter for it. Ii know you can get a new adaptor. I need to have a tech look at it and see what’s up. I would sell it if I could get enough to get a new prophet5 rev4. The fizmo rack is even more rare than the synth I have. I’ve seen prices as high as
$9000. Crazy

VCO

Post by VCO » Tue May 02, 2023 10:04 pm

Well the ironic thing is I’m really a jazz piano player . I don’t consider myself a synthisist . I just like synths. Many years ago I purchased a used OBXA for $500 dollars at a studio in Dallas Texas. Wish I had never sold it. It came with a Kenton midi box and oberhiem sequencers. Don’t know how it would be holding up today though being it was so old. It’s was large and heavy. Larger and heavier and wider than my current OBX8. The OBX8 will have to suffice instead. The prices I seen for an OBXA are astronomical. For most I would think the current OB8 would be a better deal. It’s new, it’s updated with modern features , sounds great and has the different oberhiem synth patch’s, features and different filters.I’m fortunate to have one. Some vintage synth collectors would still opt for the orginal OBXA. Problem for me being the
up keep and price. I’m not technical savvy and don’t have the knowledge or ability to fix a vintage synth like the OBXA if something were to go amiss. I have synths that are 25 years old . They’re from the 90s. I have Asian synths from korg
Roland Yamaha, kurzweil etc. the only other analog synth I have currently besides the voyager,pro3 and OBX8 is a Karp
oddsey. It has mini keys which I hate. I prefer synths with memory and modern features plus all the other analog synth I have are in stereo. Vintage is cool but I don’t go down that path. I purchased the Karp Oddsey before the full sized
Was offered.

Filipe

Post by Filipe » Thu May 04, 2023 5:08 pm

I tend to concur: keeping the OBXA would have been an interesting idea.
Cannot have them all, can we?
Chips may live for 80 years or more, but a not all electronic / mechanical components have that life span.
So, in the end the OBX8 was the smartest option...
I lost my cs01 breath control in when I demoed for a cruise job, in the eighties.
This controller would be useful with my own vl70m. I tend to play it from the Voyager.
You should change vl70m battery in case you have not done it before.
Go for Varta Cr2450; no all 2450s fit appropriately.
Attachments
Sem nome.jpg

VCO

Post by VCO » Thu May 11, 2023 2:14 am

I lost my breath controller as well. Problem is that synths become a dinosaur in 5 years. I wish I had purchased analog synths back in the day instead of all the romplers I acquired. Analog synths fell out of fashion. Ironic though that current technology still tries to mimic analog subtractive synthisis. Analog
Synths hold thier value. All the romplers I own though in excellent condition don’t sell for much now used
It’s better to just use them as a musical instrument instead of parting with them since their value is diminished. I would never have anticipated how soft synths took off. I guess I’m just old fashioned and prefer hardware. There’s something special in turning knobs and tweaking a patch on an analog synth
and finding the sweet spot. Romplers have thier place and emulate acoustic and electro mechanical
well, electric pianos, strings ,clavinets, tone wheel organs etc. I don’t think they sound as good emulating analog synthisis ,even though I have analog modeling synths. They sound good but real analog has this edge that I prefer. Same as comparing a sample piano to the real thing.I can tell the difference when I play my grand piano. No stepping , no sampling just the real McCoy. I think some people feel the same way when it comes to Hammond tone wheel organs. There’s nothing like the real thing. The real thing is impractical and expensive for most. And when it comes to gigging and live performance only
A few are fortunate enough to be able to have the real thing. That’s why workstations took over since
People got tired of the cost of maintenance and portability issues. When the DX7 came out it put Rhodes out of buisness. There are a lot more options now then back in the day when there weren’t as many choices. Nothing like the real thing though .