Micromoog- how to fix a key

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricNijssen

Micromoog- how to fix a key

Post by EricNijssen » Wed Apr 05, 2023 9:48 am

Hi.

Very happily I bought a micromoog serial 5352, I’m really quite ecstatic!

I think (most of) it works fine.
One thing is for sure: the left C key doesn’t work.

Can you tell me how to fix it, and/ or the most probable cause it’s not working?

Furthermore I wonder when this one was made? Serial 5352.

Thank you very much

Eric

analogmonster

Re: Micromoog- how to fix a key

Post by analogmonster » Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:53 am

If just the left C does not work and the other keys do, I assume that the resistor string for the key voltages is not damaged. Check the key contacts of the left C for corrosion and look whether you can clean them. Are there Kimber Allan contacts used for the keyboard? If so the one for the left C might have to be replaced.

sdwillingham

Post by sdwillingham » Fri Apr 07, 2023 9:53 am

analogmonster wrote: Fri Apr 07, 2023 8:53 am If just the left C does not work and the other keys do, I assume that the resistor string for the key voltages is not damaged. Check the key contacts of the left C for corrosion and look whether you can clean them. Are there Kimber Allan contacts used for the keyboard? If so the one for the left C might have to be replaced.
The micro/multi-moogs use j-wire contacts under the keyboard. The contacts are easily serviced by popping-off a long plastic access door on the bottom of the instrument. Wiggle your low-c key to inspect the action and the associated wire. It may be broken or corroded. If corroded, you may be able to clean it or you might need to replace it.

Try to Google for Pratt-Read keyboards for more info.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:38 pm

The Micromoog was made from 1975 to 1979. I’m not sure what your serial number would tell you as far as to when yours
Was made. I remember the micromoog . I remember seeing ads for it in downbeat with chick corea and herbie Hancock.
I remember seeing it in a music store where I purchased my Rhodes from. I had the Mark 2 with the flattop . They changed to the flattop on the Rhodes mark 2 so you could safely place synths and other keyboards like a hohner clavinet on top of it . Before the flattop they were rounded so it made it more difficult to stack keyboards. I never got to play the micromoog. I also remember the multimoog. I think the micromoog might have had a ribbon like the polymoog although I’m not certain. The micromoog and the multimoog were very popular in the 70s. I played a model D once back in 1978 and a polymoog Synthisizer but never the micromoog or the multimoog. I wouldn’t have been able to afford any of those synths then. The Rhodes Mark 2 was $900 to $1000 dollars back in 1978 for the stage piano.

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Apr 09, 2023 1:55 pm

I just read the keys and the ribbon are prone to failure

VCO

Post by VCO » Sun Apr 09, 2023 4:09 pm

I would think Micromoogs would be rare nowadays . I’m not sure how many were manufactured but I would assume they would be low in volume since they were made for four years . The Minimoog model D was discontinued a couple of years later in 1981. The only time I have ever seen a micromoog was back in the day. I’ve never seen one since.

EricNijssen

Post by EricNijssen » Tue Apr 11, 2023 7:21 am

Many thanks to all.
I had to bend the j-wire a little back.
Works fine now.

https://youtu.be/jjzXC_UiszQ

Thanks a lot!