MURF tap

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
fabrizio

MURF tap

Post by fabrizio » Mon Oct 02, 2006 8:01 am

I play guitars through a Murf, also live. but it appears very unwilling to stay in the tempo. I have a small BOSS switch that I use for tapping the tempo, but this switch isn't that suitable.

so my question is: what is the best TAP PEDAL for my Murf? Or is there a better way to keep the rate in the right tempo in live situations?

thanx,
f
www.thisislarsson.com
www.myspace.com/thisislarsson

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Mon Oct 02, 2006 9:11 pm

Fabrizio,

Since the MuRF's sequencer runs asynchronously, there's no way to lock the tempo externally. The best you will ever do is to use a footswitch to manually keep the right tempo.

You might find that a piano-style pedal (like a sustain pedal) works better than a small footswitch like the Boss. I'd suggest trying a few of these footswitches at your local music dealer and see what works best for you.

- Greg

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:35 am

It is a pain, but wonderful if syncro is possible..

I sometimes pull feed off the drums.. if the drums have a constant pattern [ie bass kick ever so often] if they are channeled out, it is nice [or an electric roland set like i sometimes have playing next to me] Or one can use a band pass/ lowpass to isolate a certian sound of the set, run it through an envelope follower/ module that creates gate, and walla- you are in time with what ever beat is going on.

I use the Boss duoble switch that is both latch and momuntary. the nice thing is with 2 outs [a mono out per switch, and a combined TRS with the combined out] i can have one tap change the murf velocity and the delay time on my GT-8 at the same time. or even better.. one side change the tempo tap, and the other trigger each new stage per tap.
Electronic Violinist here

suthnear

Post by suthnear » Tue Oct 03, 2006 6:45 am

what about using one of these? Haven't tried it myself, but it could be interesting...

latigid on

Post by latigid on » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:06 am

suthnear wrote:what about using one of these? Haven't tried it myself, but it could be interesting...
Yeah, you could mic the bass drum/snare and plug it into the gate input. It would create some interesting rhythms, but might not be fast enough, unless you're playing metal or something!

You can sync the MuRF to MIDI clock, but it requires a sequencer and a MIDI-CV converter.

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Oct 03, 2006 7:13 pm

guess what, you don't need one of them :)

if you have TRS [tip ring sleeve]

get a standard insert cable. stereo side to the MURF one lead goes to tempo tap, and the other goes to step advance tap. synch the step up with the drum trigger,.. and you are garanteed to switch in time. it may double trigger ocassionally. but not too big a problem.

much cheaper

willi

Post by willi » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:35 pm

latigid on wrote:You can sync the MuRF to MIDI clock, but it requires a sequencer and a MIDI-CV converter.
Any units worth mentioning? I'm working with a MuRF (and soon a 104z Delay), but I also use MIDI romplers etc. Ideally I could find a single unit that can serve as a master clock generator, outputting multiple MIDI and CV signals. I think this could be accomplished by using a MOTU MIDI Timepiece or something similar, and an additional MIDI-CV converter. It would be great if everything was accomplished from a single box, but the key really is being able to sync many devices from a single tap tempo input... (beat detection from audio signal would be nice as well I suppose...)

Ideas?

matt the fiddler

Post by matt the fiddler » Tue Oct 03, 2006 9:52 pm

willi

Post by willi » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:18 pm

Any idea how this would compare? It's much less expensive!

http://www.paia.com/midi2cv.htm

Thanks! :D
Sub Phatty, MF-101, MF-103, MF-104z, & MF-105
http://www.earth2willi.com