Grandmother quiet going into Apogee Ensemble???

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
mattymel

Grandmother quiet going into Apogee Ensemble???

Post by mattymel » Sat Dec 22, 2018 10:16 pm

I’ve been losing my mind trying to figure out what is happening here. Basically I have 2 Dfams, 2 Mothers, and a Grandmother all going into my Apogee Ensemble into Logic. For some reason I can’t figure out, the Grandmother is VERY quiet in the mix. Even with the mixer showing that the signal coming in from the GM is normal (and looks like it should be actually very loud).

I’ve tried everything I can think of. Switching inputs in to the Ensemble, different cables, using the same cables I had routed to all the Dfams and Mothers, and still I get the same results. The Grandmother just seems quieter than everything else.

I even plugged the GM into my QSC K10 to make sure the signal isn’t coming out very quiet and just about blew the speaker on the K10. It’s not the output on the GM. PLENTY loud coming out into a powered monitor.

I’m at a loss. I’m sure it’s something very stupid but I’m giving up. I even tried a TRS cable just to make sure the Apogee wants that for some reason. No dice.

Any similar issues?

bichuelo

Re: Grandmother quiet going into Apogee Ensemble???

Post by bichuelo » Thu Dec 27, 2018 8:11 pm

You should use a TS cable as stated in the manual. If you use a TRS instead, the circuit assumes you are using heaphones and changes its impedance accordingly
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

ummagumma

Re: Grandmother quiet going into Apogee Ensemble???

Post by ummagumma » Fri Dec 28, 2018 12:11 pm

bichuelo wrote:You should use a TS cable as stated in the manual. If you use a TRS instead, the circuit assumes you are using heaphones and changes its impedance accordingly
that is interesting! did not know about that...

also for the OP, if you want a loud signal try using the euro output

I have actually started using the euro out, with reverb set to dry, as well as the reverb out ( which has only reverb ) as two separate outputs, and later mixing the amount of reverb in my DAW

this gives a bit more flexibility, if you want to adjust the reverb mix dynamically, after recording the GM

ps apparently Keith Emerson had his modulars modded so the reverb mix control just blended the reverb signal in with the dry signal, instead of controlling the mix between dry/reverb level