Got your Phatty? What are the 'surprise' features?

Everything Phatty.
Jazzpunk

Got your Phatty? What are the 'surprise' features?

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:27 pm

Now that some of you have the Phatty in your hands, can you fill the rest of us in on the 'surprise' features mentioned by Moog?

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:32 pm

Turns out the surprise feature is a 3rd "buzz" oscillator - which adds a fixed-frequency hum to almost any patch! This third suprise sound source has one setting: on, which is not user-editable. BZZZZZZ!

:)
soundcloud.com/astrospy

calyx93

Post by calyx93 » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:33 pm

Guess you're experiencing this too? :?

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:17 am

does it have the waveform diagram around the VCO edit control as shown in the manual?

i think that's a really cool extra feature, even though it wouldn't do anything to the sound, it makes the synth about ten times cooler

CTRLSHFT

Post by CTRLSHFT » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:58 am

Ted3000 wrote:Turns out the surprise feature is a 3rd "buzz" oscillator - which adds a fixed-frequency hum to almost any patch! This third suprise sound source has one setting: on, which is not user-editable. BZZZZZZ!

crap! have you corresponded/gotten corre from moog on this by chance? (or if i'm completely misinterpreting sarcasm, ignore this)
www.ctrlshft.com

GregAE

Re: Got your Phatty? What are the 'surprise' features?

Post by GregAE » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:38 pm

Jazzpunk wrote:Now that some of you have the Phatty in your hands, can you fill the rest of us in on the 'surprise' features mentioned by Moog?
All of the LP features are listed in the User Manual, which is available as a downloadable PDF. As for the specific 'surprise' features:

http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3044&start=0

Greg

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:32 pm

All of the LP features are listed in the User Manual, which is available as a downloadable PDF. As for the specific 'surprise' features:

http://moogmusic.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3044&start=0

Greg

Hmmm...not sure what's so 'surprising' about those features but guess, I'll know better when I have it here in my hands.
Last edited by Jazzpunk on Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:34 pm

Ted3000 wrote:Turns out the surprise feature is a 3rd "buzz" oscillator - which adds a fixed-frequency hum to almost any patch! This third suprise sound source has one setting: on, which is not user-editable. BZZZZZZ!

Ted,
Major bummer man! Not what one is expecting from Moog. Have you found a certain patch or setting that makes this 'hum' most noticeable? I would like to check mine out when it arrives at the store before bringing it home. I'm not going to throw down the rest of the cash on this puppy if it aint delivering as promised.

Thanks for any tips on what to look out for and hang in there man.

Ted3000

Post by Ted3000 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 5:38 pm

Thanks all, but I don't own a Little Phatty, I'm just a forum groupie. (And an ex-Prodigy owner)

Just with all the Buzz reports, and this thread which had no replies - it seemed like the perfect place for some internet-style "humor."
soundcloud.com/astrospy

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Wed Aug 02, 2006 6:24 pm

Jazzpunk does have a good idea, however.

Would those of you who are experiencing this problem please let us who are still on the waiting list know which patches best represent this "buzz" problem.

I, too, would like to check mine out at the store, BEFORE I take it home. It helps to know right where to go to hear the buzz first hand.

I agree with JP that if the buzz is as bad as some on the forum make it sound, I probably want to wait on mine until the problem is resolved.
Thanks Bob!!

carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Wed Aug 02, 2006 11:31 pm

Jazzpunk wrote:Hmmm...not sure what's so 'surprising' about those features but guess, I'll know better when I have it here in my hands.
They're suprising because Moogmusic didn't mention them. People thought there would be no velocity controll for one thing. Another interesting thing is a user-selectable slope for the filter, also not mentioned before. A bunch of other things we weren't told about are surprises as well...go figure.

:lol:
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:44 am

carbon111 wrote:
Jazzpunk wrote:Hmmm...not sure what's so 'surprising' about those features but guess, I'll know better when I have it here in my hands.
They're suprising because Moogmusic didn't mention them. People thought there would be no velocity controll for one thing. Another interesting thing is a user-selectable slope for the filter, also not mentioned before. A bunch of other things we weren't told about are surprises as well...go figure.

:lol:
I'm sorry Carbon did my ignorance on this issue annoy you? Thank you for emphasizing so many points in your response. By using the bold feature excessively, you really helped to enlighten me on this matter.

:roll:

carbon111

Post by carbon111 » Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:35 am

'S Ok, I always emphasise stuff with bold and italics...never underlines though. ;)

Didn't mean to imply you were ignorant. I probably should have used more smileys :D I'm just cranky because I've been laid up in bed for three days straight with a virus while some folks are already recieving their Phattys :shock:

If you were here I'd buy you a beer and we could toast the LP...if I felt well enough to drink a beer!
Best Regards, James
--
http://www.carbon111.com