More detail on the MuRF

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
sir_dss

More detail on the MuRF

Post by sir_dss » Wed Jan 21, 2004 5:21 pm

Hi- found this on the Yahoo Voyager group.

By BrianK

MuRF -

- Eight filters set at intervals (think like the bands on a graphic EQ, but bandpass resonant filters; each one "passes" a thin band of sound).

- The filters can be "sequenced" (they call them patterns) so they run forward, backward, different preset orders (nothing specifically random) and a mode where they are all ON at one time (this makes very interesting tonal shaping - telephone sounds, and we got THE "Brian May" Queen guitar sound with one setting!). Raising/lowering the sliders gives EACH chosen sequence hundreds of options of sound patterns.

- As the sequence chosen plays - that thin band of sound passes through and starts to decay away - the Decay is a knob that can be set short (very choppy) or long, so it rings over the next few filter stages too. CV controllable Decay.

- The speed is adjustable and CV controllable. There is discussion whether it should be a Tap input sync (for live playing to match other's tempo's) or Step input - to trigger each next stage with a voltage or clock.

- Mix (dry/filters) is also CV controlled. Good for bass players where you don't want to lose the low end...

- LFO on-off slightly moves each band in the group (they all move together, no easy way to make them independant) and adds a shimmering sound; There is also a sweep input CV jack to make this an External control thing from your sequencer, LFO, S/H etc.

- Sound - kind of like sequences of stepped filters, cascading phasers, short blips of electronic notes, or underwater curtains of sound - really lots of DIFFERENT sounds it makes. It is a LOT more flexible than a LowPass filter, for example.

Around the $400 range...

dvdborn

MuRF suggestion

Post by dvdborn » Thu Jan 22, 2004 9:37 am

If you could also pan each filter separately in the stereo image then Moog Music will have a truly great product.

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Thu Jan 22, 2004 2:25 pm

dvdborn...

Man do you really think it's going to be lame otherwise???

I think inspite of what people wish(my issues about CV outputs included) that this effect will do will be rad, and sound amazing.

dvdborn

Post by dvdborn » Thu Jan 22, 2004 6:34 pm

Oh no, I'm not saying it will be a lame effect at all! I'm looking forward to hearing it.
But I do miss the stereo aspect of effects like this, most of the time the output signal is mono while you can get some nice effects panning the different filters.

I use the same prinicipal with my Akai VX600 synth http://kunst.phlimburg.be/vx600, playing chords while every voice is differently panned gives an extra dimension.

The MuRF seems like a very versatile effect and knowing Moog they will add lots of external modulation possibilities to it.

Jebus0000

Post by Jebus0000 » Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:21 pm

sir_dss wrote:dvdborn...

Man do you really think it's going to be lame otherwise???

I think inspite of what people wish(my issues about CV outputs included) that this effect will do will be rad, and sound amazing.
no CV outputs!! I was so looking forward to be able to use the "patterns" on the other moogers.

s16016wb

Post by s16016wb » Sat Jan 24, 2004 3:25 pm

peacefrog

Post by peacefrog » Sun Jan 25, 2004 3:05 am

http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=111

That above link should go to the page on the moogmusic site about the murf.

gerry

guitar

Post by gerry » Mon Jan 26, 2004 9:50 pm

I kind approximate the sounds on example 1 of the Murf with the CP251 LFO/sample and hold running into the low pass filter's Cutoff CV, and with the ring mod to add some aysemmetric harmonic grit. However, the Murf is more intense than my set-up.
I wish the Moog team would post some sound samples with CV manipulation of the Murf; I think with smoother transitions it'd be closer to a classic fat analog synth sound like emerson, zawinul. As is, the constant rhythmic quality reminds me too much of 80s era Cars pop music.

dvdborn

Post by dvdborn » Tue Jan 27, 2004 5:02 pm

Judging by the soundsamples, they've also spread the filters in the stereofield. Very nice!

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Wed Jan 28, 2004 1:33 am

You know...I will most likely get the MuRF. I just just a little put off that it has presets for the pattern.

Anyone care about that???

elirentz

Post by elirentz » Wed Jan 28, 2004 4:22 pm

YEha that kind of limits its use in my opinion. Your stuck with certain patterns so after a while it seems it would be hard to get anything really new with the sequencer. MAybe I don't have a good understanding of it though.

moogmusic
Site Admin

Post by moogmusic » Thu Jan 29, 2004 12:06 pm

At first, the idea of preset patterns might seem limiting, but keep in mind that you can change the levels of all 8 filters. That means with a simple pattern, say turning each filter on in sequence, turning down some of the bands with the sliders results in rhythmic variations and accents. Add to that the possibility of changing the shape of the envelope that turns on a band and you can get percolating, pulsing effects, or with a slow envelope time, you can crossfade from one band to the next.

The idea with the preset patterns is to start with a limited set of useful tools and add the capability to vary their workings in a wide variety of ways.

Even with no animation, the filters themselves sound amazing.

Hope this helps...

peacefrog

why all band pass filters?

Post by peacefrog » Fri Jan 30, 2004 5:24 pm

I'm wondering why you guys chose all band pass filters.

I've fooled around with notch filters and a couple of types of Low pass and high pass filters; I always sort of thought the one thing that might make the Low Pass filter box even better was if it had a choice of notch or band pass on it (the only high pass filter I've fooled with that I liked was the Alembic, the high pass setting on the various filter stomp boxes are almost all limited in their real world uses to me).

Another question is: can the time through the 8 steps be altered, like instead of it being timed "like" 8 eighth notes, could it be like two eighth followed by six 8th not triplets-- still adding up to eight but where the timing of the steps through the filters were to follow a groove?

Also, could a filter be "shorted out" in a sense where if you wanted to step through a seven filter pattern could you bypass one of the filters.

Finally, if you set to adjacent filters to the same parameter, would it not change the sound as the sequence stepped to the seconded identical one?

sir_dss

Post by sir_dss » Sat Jan 31, 2004 1:51 am

SEE MOOGMUSIC !!!

We Moog users are not as simple as you would like us to be!

Look at peacefrog for instance...

s16016wb

Post by s16016wb » Sun Feb 01, 2004 11:22 pm

I think what the MURF needs is a midi port - to allow customer programming of the filter sequences (including durations) via a proprietary sysex program.

THAT would kick ass.