Using 2nd Mother 32 as 2nd Oscillator

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
Colonel Monk

Using 2nd Mother 32 as 2nd Oscillator

Post by Colonel Monk » Sun Apr 29, 2018 10:34 am

Howdy Everyone:

While I have been noodling with moog gear for several years, I didn't have the pieces I needed to play modular till now.

I've got a sequence on M32_1, and I want to use M32_2 as a second oscillator to add that depth I can get with my phatty....

I've tried two different things, first I patched like this:

Option 1

M32_1 gate OUT to M32_2 gate IN
M32_1 KB OUT to M32_2 VCO 1V/OCT

I connected both audio sources separately to a "mixer"

I found the same issue mentioned earlier, that the tone seemed too high for some reason. I messed around with frequency, and also changing octave and pressing the note I wanted on the M32_2 Keyboard and that seemed to remedy some of it.

Seemed to be missing something though, I just didn't feel like I had the interplay and width I had between oscillators I'm used to with phatty. It sounded like two separate synthesizers playing the same thing instead of multiple oscillators from the same source...

I also tried different methods of trying to sync the filters and to no avail. Any ideas?

Option 2

Based on this thread: viewtopic.php?f=19&t=28741&p=165610&hil ... 32#p165610

M32_1 gate OUT to M32_2 gate IN
M32_1 KB OUT to M32_2 VCO 1V/OCT

M32_2 VCO PULSE (or VCO SAW) to M32_1 EXT AUDIO

VCO / EXT MIX around 50% or to ear....

With this option it seems that none of the filters or anything else is really active on M32_2.

Am I missing anything here? is Option 2 giving me what I have on my phatty where I have two OSC tuned and then processed by EG and Filters? Just seems to be missing something I can't put my finger on.

If anyone has suggestions how to liven the sound up, let me know!

Thanks

CM
Colonel Monk

Slim Phatty, Foogertron 7000: Low Pass, Ring Mod, Phaser, 104z Delay, ClusterFlux, Bass MuRF, FreqBox, CP-251
2X Mother 32, Minitaur