Midi to CV convertor 1/4 inch jacks.

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
sub guy

Midi to CV convertor 1/4 inch jacks.

Post by sub guy » Fri Apr 20, 2018 1:38 am

I want to be able to control my MiniMoog Model D reissue with a midi controller keyboard. I would like to be able to convert some midi signals to CV for plugging into the back CV input jacks on the MiniMoog.

Do you guys know of a module or even better a desk top gizmo I can buy that can convert midi signals to Control Voltages?

GregAE

Re: Midi to CV convertor 1/4 inch jacks.

Post by GregAE » Fri Apr 20, 2018 7:31 am

Actually, there are a lot of choices here in a lot of formats (Euro, 5U, & desktop). Google 'Convert midi to cv' to get an idea.

One of the cheaper solutions is the Korg SQ1, which, besides being a sequencer, can convert MIDI to CV and Gate. About $100.00. You'll need to add a couple of 3.5mm-1/4 adapters to make it work with the Mini, but those are also pretty cheap and readily available.

Check out the YT video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAY2b8FGAg

Greg

sub guy

Post by sub guy » Sun Apr 22, 2018 7:26 pm

GregAE wrote:Actually, there are a lot of choices here in a lot of formats (Euro, 5U, & desktop). Google 'Convert midi to cv' to get an idea.

One of the cheaper solutions is the Korg SQ1, which, besides being a sequencer, can convert MIDI to CV and Gate. About $100.00. You'll need to add a couple of 3.5mm-1/4 adapters to make it work with the Mini, but those are also pretty cheap and readily available.

Check out the YT video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKAY2b8FGAg

Greg

Thanks for that. I appreciate the response.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:36 pm

Another option is a used Kenton box.

There are many many models and while their primary purpose is to do a traditional Midi to CV Pitch/Gate or Switch trig voltage, they often have other features like a cc that you can bind to an output and internal LFOs.

You can probably get a used one for under $100. They are solid, but not sequencer. All depends on if you want something plastic made in china that may crap out in a year or something in a metal case, built to last a dozen years or more. Of course I'm generalizing and it's not fair but in my direct experience, I've had really good luck (and have read that others have) with the Kenton, procured used; and also with some of the Korg miniPad (forget the actual product name) and two of them crapped out on me. Garbage.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!