Pros/Cons of Phatty vs. Voyager

Everything Phatty.
Jyoti

Post by Jyoti » Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:22 pm

Please bear in mind that I'm very biased in that:

1. I haven't ever played a Phatty so I'm guessing as to the user experience, extrapolated from the Source and other predominantly parameter-access synths.
2. I'm absolutely in love with my Voyager. Every time I use it, I end up creating five or ten new patches, it's such a joy to tweak. And there's *something* about the sound of it, it's so seductive. Melodies just seem to spring out of it.

Of course, the Phatty may have that same beguiling nature for much less money. But I can tell you, I paid £1999 for my Voyager ($3,561) and I don't regret a penny.

goldphinga

Post by goldphinga » Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:35 am

You didnt say you were a newbie,if you had i would have elaborated somewhat. :wink:
Moog Gear: Voyager AE,LP Stage 2+CV outs (Blue LED's/Wheels, MF104SD, MF101 Filter, MF103 Phaser, Source, Memorymoog+, Minitaur.

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:38 pm

Jazzpunk,

'Contour_generator' just posted a PDF chart on the phatsound site that compares the Voyager to the Little Phatty. You wanted an 'on paper' spec - sounds like this is it.

;-)

- MF

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Mon Apr 24, 2006 7:21 pm

Regarding the difficulty of learning to program synths on the Voyager....

I don't think that this would be a problem at all. I learned to program on a Minimoog Model D, and they are so well laid out that it was simple to learn. It may even be easier to learn on a Voyager (or Mini) than on a LP because you have one knob for every function and can look at all of your settings without having to even touch the keyboard.

I am going through a rough decision making process for myself at this time since I would like to buy an LP. Actually it probably doesn't offer that much more than my Source, but I LOVE the look of it.

But maybe it would be better to buy the Performance version and save a few hundred bucks....do we know for sure that there is a Performance version coming out, or is it all speculation?

To do this, I will be selling one of my Mini's. Should I really sell a Mini for an LP? The only advantage here is that it is something different and it LOOKS COOL, and it is newer.

Am I dumb to sell a Mini right now? Voyager is just too expensive.

Actually, for the price the MEK looks like a much better deal, although I absolutely did not connect with the PEK when I tried one of those.....

Tough choices all......
Thanks Bob!!

Jazzpunk

Post by Jazzpunk » Tue Apr 25, 2006 12:21 am

Hey waag,
I love that you are lusting over the Phatty based on the fact that it looks cool...you must be a fellow gear addict :)

Definitely get your hands on one before you let go of that mini!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Tue Apr 25, 2006 7:28 am

thewaag wrote: But maybe it would be better to buy the Performance version and save a few hundred bucks....do we know for sure that there is a Performance version coming out, or is it all speculation?

To do this, I will be selling one of my Mini's. Should I really sell a Mini for an LP? The only advantage here is that it is something different and it LOOKS COOL, and it is newer.

Am I dumb to sell a Mini right now? Tough choices all......
Moog announced a "Stage Edition" (due out in the summer) which will be a cheaper version of the LP. It will lose the wood end caps and have a different illumination scheme, but should otherwise be the same instrument (there are no specs on the Stage Edition at present).

Selling the Mini to buy the LP is a tough choice, but if the two sound the same to your ears, buy the LP. You will be getting a synth that's highly comparible to the Mini, with the advantages of variable waveforms, ADSR EG's, MIDI and CV connections, and patch storage. Add to that, it's brand new, with a waranty and full factory support, and it is a genuine Moog instrument from the man himself: Bob Moog.

Maybe the choice isn't so tough.

- G

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Apr 25, 2006 2:36 pm

Yes, the Mini for an LP is a tough decision.

I am afraid that someday, my beloved Model D is going to go south on me, and it is nice to have a back-up. Talking to the folks at Analogue Haven, they indicated that some of the old vintage synths are just starting to wear out due to age. Not many people around who can fix them, and probably expensive.

The LP will depreciate a bit after I "drive it from the showroom", while a working Mini continues to appreciate. Selling the Mini for an LP does not make good business sense, if the decision is based on that. I know that I am still kicking myself for selling my ARP 2600 for $650 in the late 80's, when it would fetch thousands now.... all to buy an EMU Orchestral sample module (which is worth about $100 now).

And yes--I love the look of the LP....plus the fact that it is my favorite brand--MOOG! Will I like the cheaper edition as well with it's watered down looks???

By the way, has the cheaper edition truly been announced? The guy at Analogue Haven indicated that it was unsubstantiated rumor....

The Voyager is probably the instrument that I need but it is so expensive--particularly when I already have a Mini.

And to be honest, is the MEK a better buy? It is cheaper and has more functions. Just not a Moog.....

Well enough agonizing for now and back to work so that maybe I can buy both....
Thanks Bob!!

dr_floyd

Post by dr_floyd » Tue Apr 25, 2006 3:23 pm

I previously wrote the Phatty did not have a velocity sensing keyboard, but it DOES.
And according to the recent Keyboard magazine article, "The sound engine is the same as the Voyager. It has the same oscillator, the same filter (with a few less options), and the standard LFO." from Cyril Lance, the new Bob.

Nick Montoya

Post by Nick Montoya » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:27 pm

thewaag wrote:Yes, the Mini for an LP is a tough decision.

I am afraid that someday, my beloved Model D is going to go south on me, and it is nice to have a back-up. Talking to the folks at Analogue Haven, they indicated that some of the old vintage synths are just starting to wear out due to age. Not many people around who can fix them, and probably expensive.
Hey Dale,

Don't sell the Model D... I am selling my Arp Axxe to help get my LP, but never a Model D.. One thing to consider is that they JUST started making the LP and based on how fricken kool it is, they will be making it for a while.
They havent made model D's since the year I was born ( 83, yes I'm a kid) and they won't ever again !!!!

It cant be in that bad of condition. Get on Kevin Lightners waiting list, have him do it up, put lit wheels in it and sell it on ebay to some german kid for 5000.00 (it has been done) and buy BOTH !!!!! Muhahahahah...

- Nick
http://www.thevoltperoctaves.com

http://www.myspace.com/thevoltperoctaves

http://www.moogmusic.com/artists/?cat_id=28

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:33 pm

Probably good advice Nick......

Hope your tour can make it through Portland. If it does, I'll have you over and you can plunk a few keys and turn a few knobs.....
Thanks Bob!!

Lengai

Post by Lengai » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:02 pm

A used Voyager Performer on Ebay is not that much more than the LP.

thewaag

Post by thewaag » Tue Apr 25, 2006 6:24 pm

I will have to keep a closer look. I haven't seen that many used ones on ebay--only new ones.

But of course a Performer would not make me happy---I love those bitchin' blue backlit knobs. :)
Thanks Bob!!

GregAE

Post by GregAE » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:12 am

thewaag wrote:By the way, has the cheaper edition truly been announced? The guy at Analogue Haven indicated that it was unsubstantiated rumor....

And to be honest, is the MEK a better buy? It is cheaper and has more functions. Just not a Moog.....

Well enough agonizing for now and back to work so that maybe I can buy both....
The Stage Edition was announced, and will be produced after the initial run of Tribute Edition LP's. I have no knowledge of exactly when the Stage Edition will be available, although it will probably be sometime over the summer.

The MEK is the keyboard version of the Evolver laptop. The Evolver is a digital/analog hybrid synth, with two analog and two digital oscillators (4 oscillators total). It has it's own sound (I own one). Pricewise, the MEK probably compares to the Stage Edition LP. Performance-wise, the MEK a different beast altogether. while it has more features than the LP (more oscillators, a built-in sequencer, two filters, delay FX), it's not a true analog synth, does not have the Moog filter, the cool vibe, etc. Does the feature set make the MEK a better buy? That's a decision for you to make. For now, I'd suggest saving your money (and your Model D) and checking out both instruments when they become available (hopefully you can do a side-by-side comparison in a music store).

- G

nigeynige

Little Phatty

Post by nigeynige » Wed Apr 26, 2006 8:15 am

Because of the price difference, obviously there are going to be sacrifices in the LP as opposed to the Voyager. It's got some great features and I know it sounds great. 2 Oscillators is plenty for a fat sound because the Mini had to use the 3rd Osc for LFO. It survived with 2 oscillators as did the source and the Multimoog(which i regret getting rid of because of its modulation).The Little Phatty has a seperate LFO.

I know it may have lost 7 notes on the bottom, but as you can control this from another keyboard and an up and down octave, your range is no longer limited.
Everyone has griped about the name, but it's here, it's alive and it's getting it's boots on ready to kick lumps out of the other market contenders.
I'm looking forward to seeing one in the flesh as soon as I can. What about the flightcase though. It's like a voyager with rigamortis :D
We'll have to keep posts on the board about companies across the world that custom build to suit the Little Phatty.

teknobeam

knobs

Post by teknobeam » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:13 pm

My only concern with the LP as opposed to the Voyager is the lack of dedicated knobs for each function. It's really nice to be able to just grab a parameter and instantly make a change. But who knows, it might not be that big a deal once a person gets accustomed to it. The Voyager just seems so much more the real deal.