preset booklet?

Everything Phatty.
cheveux.boucles

preset booklet?

Post by cheveux.boucles » Wed Apr 19, 2006 8:45 pm

i don't (from what i've heard) think there are going to be presets on the lp, so are they going to make a factory preset book? I'm already sold on the lp either way, it's just that my curiosity got the best of me :wink:
Moog LP TE

godzilla

Post by godzilla » Wed Apr 19, 2006 11:32 pm

i'd prefer it not to have presets, so i don't have to go through the thing and delete them all.

but if the choice was up to me i'd leave the presets in for all the people that like them.

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:01 pm

yeah, i agree, i don't care either way about presets on the lp, but in my mind it sort of takes away from the analogness (is that a word?) of the synth...i was just saying it would be cool to put some of the moog company's fav. settings in a book (or something of that nature). Don't want to make a big deal about it though...maybe people will post their fav. settings on phatsound or the likes...
Moog LP TE

nigeynige

My only concern( A LOGICAL ONE)

Post by nigeynige » Wed May 10, 2006 11:40 am

The only concern I have with presets not present in the LP is.....
HOW THE HELL DO YOU SELL IT IN A SHOP?
99% of customers want to hear the capabilities of a machine and if it has no presets, then why not make it like the Mini/multi/micro Moogs.....
No presets......No Midi......If you like that kinda thing.....
go buy a Mini.......

believe me I know where you're all coming from though.
I bought an AE Voyager and thought most of the presets were useless for what music I work on, but they were there for a good reason......
to show the capability of the Voyager.
Now I've been asked to put a bank together for the LP and my concerns always lean towards the basic patches that everyone I talk to requires....
MOOG BASSES, MOOG SOUNDING LEADS, VINTAGE 70's and 80's sounds....That kind of thing.....
where when you put on that old Stevie Wonder/EWF/JAN HAMMER/ELP/Wakeman track......you are moved by the power of the Moog.....
I personally don't see the point in creating a sound that emulates my other synths.....
Vice versa.....I've spent far too long trying to emulate moogs(and I've had a few ).....

Pre-installed presets are just there for the benefit of salesperson(who probably has never played a synth before) and actually showing the vast capabilities of the machine......

We all like to tweak. I haven't got one original preset in my Voyager.....
They're all mine........
All I can say is happy tweaking.....
If you don;t like the presets....MAY I SUGGEST a menu function/ erase all presets in the Master function....Risky for those who are faint hearted, but for those who want to start a new relationship, not pick up from where the thing has baggage........It's an ideal way to start your new life with your Moog.... :lol:
Nige

cheveux.boucles

Post by cheveux.boucles » Wed May 10, 2006 5:13 pm

makes sense... I remember when i played a voyager in a shop...it took me 45 minutes just to get a sound that was decent, just because the guy hadn't told me there were presets (or maybe i was just naive).
Moog LP TE

martin

Post by martin » Wed May 10, 2006 8:18 pm

really? no factory presets? there must be at least some basic ones for demo purposes? maybe it's so easy to program you won't need any presets.

Modularfan

Post by Modularfan » Thu May 11, 2006 7:34 am

martin wrote:really? no factory presets? there must be at least some basic ones for demo purposes? maybe it's so easy to program you won't need any presets.
I think the answer to this is on the Little Phatty page on the Moog site:

"The Little Phatty boasts a 100 percent analog signal path, 100 user editable presets..."

I take this to mean there are 100 factory sounds available to tweak, edit, mangle and trash. Or replace with your own sounds.

Of course, this also means that clueless people will screw with the sounds in showroom demo units, resulting in ugly sounds - or worse yet - no sound at all, making it harder to get a real sense of what the LP can do:

Me, checking out the LP: "Hey, is this thing broke? It sounds terrible!"
Music store guy: "Nah, somebody screwed it up all the presets."

-MF

nigeynige

There are presets for sure

Post by nigeynige » Thu May 11, 2006 3:15 pm

Yes guys and gals, there are presets.
As I said in my previous post, I'm going to program a bunch of patches to submit to Moog, before the LP gets shipped.

Still the preset debate will go on, but you can't demonstrate a machine if it has nothing to demonstrate.
Also think of the normal musician who can't program.....What's he going to do? If the LP has no presets.....He'll invest in another synth that he knows he can dial up a sound and have istant sounds. It may not be as fat, but at least he's got a sound out of it.
All those poor people in shops struggling to get a sound out of an LP with no presets would make no business sense at all.
Am I ranting on? :(
Rant over....
Nige :wink: