Scratches easily

Mother-32, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Grandmother, Matriarch
kriskeyman

Scratches easily

Post by kriskeyman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 4:00 am

Recieved two Mother-32's last weekend! Huzzah! This past week has kept me up late. Nice work Moog!

Word of advice for others... the surface paint scratches very easily. Not sure if defect? I unplugged one of the Moog patch cables and it dangled next to the patch bay for a brief period... it left a 1 inch scratch between patch bay and VC Mix knob. :(

Oh well, happy twiddling!
Attachments
IMG_0902.JPG

HookedOnSonics

Re: Scratches easily

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Jan 20, 2016 1:22 pm

I saw another person reviewing the mother run into the same thing. So this just happened cause the cable brushed across the surface without any pressure? Theoretically this could be a checker board after a stage performance. Wonder what type of surface paint that is?
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

kriskeyman

Post by kriskeyman » Wed Jan 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Yeah, no pressure at all. I unplugged a patch cable and the tip rested against the paint and slid down.

HookedOnSonics

Post by HookedOnSonics » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:11 pm

Now that's crazy. Hope someone brings this up at NAMM, i got three on the way ... :-(
Moog One - A Poly Menance, SynthWars-The Rise of the Korg Apr2600, OBX8 Kenobi - The Return of the Synth, Vintage D 2016, Voyager of Sinbad XL, ClaraVox, FoogerFamilyOfSix, 3MothersLikeNoOthers, Kronos II - InstantKarma'sGonnaGetYou, Arp&theOdyssey, Naboo Royal MiniTaur, UniversalAudio&U67, Criklon2, ElektronRytmAvenueMKII

kriskeyman

Post by kriskeyman » Wed Jan 27, 2016 6:01 pm

So to close the loop on this issue, here's what I heard back from Moog today:

"The Mother-32 doesn’t use an overlay, but has a screen
printed metal front panel which unfortunately can lead to easily scratched
front panel. We are always working on making our products even better and
have been working with our vendors to get better materials which do not
scratch as easily."

This is unfortunate, but not surprising I suppose considering the cost considerations that went into producing the unit at such a reasonable price.

Still blown away by what it can do though... thinking about getting another! :)