Moog 701 drum synthesizer - Drum Sounds...!

System 55 • System 35 • Model 15
noddyspuncture

Moog 701 drum synthesizer - Drum Sounds...!

Post by noddyspuncture » Tue Oct 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Hi folks,

So I finally got around to hooking up one of my 701 modules to some noise... courtesy of my Minimoog to see what kind of drum sounds I could coax out of the thing. The Mini only supplies White and Pink... and the module needs Pink and Red. The plan is to eventually build a dedicated noise module to feed these - so Red will have to wait for the time being...!

But anyway here are two videos I made tonight. Could this be a World First..? Not heard sine 1969 - I wonder if this is the kind of thing Bob had in mind...?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8QjrPgMsbw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nCVKMvetTqg

Cheers,
Tom

MC

Re: Moog 701 drum synthesizer - Drum Sounds...!

Post by MC » Sat Oct 17, 2015 9:42 pm

The minimoog DOES have red noise, but only as a modulation source. The white/pink rocker switch selects the audio source. It also selects pink/red noise for modulation source. You could probably route it off the PC board.

The 701 looks like a crude voltage controlled voice - 3xVCOs, VCF with AD EG, VCA with ADD, simple modulation.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

noddyspuncture

Re: Moog 701 drum synthesizer - Drum Sounds...!

Post by noddyspuncture » Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:33 am

MC wrote:The minimoog DOES have red noise, but only as a modulation source. The white/pink rocker switch selects the audio source. It also selects pink/red noise for modulation source. You could probably route it off the PC board.

The 701 looks like a crude voltage controlled voice - 3xVCOs, VCF with AD EG, VCA with ADD, simple modulation.
Thanks for the info MC, I had already spotted he Minimoog thing... :wink: I shall be building that as a feed to both these 701 modules.

Yes, you're right in your analysis - the 701 is like a small self-contained synth and I suppose what it does could in theory be quite easily patched together using separate modular units. Although the ADD and the 'Proportion' control for the two decays is something special, as is the Attack which feels more like a 'Delay''. Actually, it feels like the filter EG also behaves slightly differently to how a standard AD would, so what they do might in fact be tricky to reproduce "exactly" with other equipment..!?

I have now moved on to the 702 'Percussion' modules and am trying to get those working. They are a bit more of a challenge because parts of them are actually missing but the front panel controls give clues... :D

Cheers,
Tom