Sporadic Midi Out - iPad 2 iOS 9>iODockII>Ableton Live 9

Share Model D, Model 15, Animoog and Filtatron tips and tricks. Unleash your creations on the world.
Mizzly Adams

Sporadic Midi Out - iPad 2 iOS 9>iODockII>Ableton Live 9

Post by Mizzly Adams » Tue Sep 29, 2015 8:15 pm

I am experiencing unpredictable midi out signals coming from my iPad, when attemping to record midi into Ableton 9.1.2.

My set up is:

Ipad 2 iOS 9 > Alesis iO Dock II > Ableton 9.1.2

I have no problems recording audio into ableton. The issue is with the midi data, when I try to record a new midi clip I can hear the animoog app but it doesnt show any midi data being recorded, sometimes after a few seconds it will begin to record the notes flawlessly. This usually goes on for 8-16 bars until one of the notes gets stuck. Usually I will stop the clip to stop the sound from being stuck on, then when attempting to record again no data is getting transferred. I have tried restarting both programs starting ableton first then animoog all experiments turning up with mixed results which has led me here. A couple other important notes during this time of sporadic connectivity over wi-fi midi to Ableton I attempted to send midi-out of Animoog into my serato app and use it as a midi controller. I have also tried both my IO Dock being connected directly to my Macbook Pro and into a USB hub, both works sometimes while both were able to map Serato and control it over midi. It appears the connection is being made but something is wrong with ableton perhaps? Thanks in advance for any insight

Mizzly Adams
Lake Tahoe, CA

gbevin

Re: Sporadic Midi Out - iPad 2 iOS 9>iODockII>Ableton Live 9

Post by gbevin » Thu Oct 01, 2015 8:10 am

Hi,

Could you please try using a WiFi network session to troubleshoot? The iODock devices have had problems in the past, and it might just be that this is where your trouble lies. To use a network session, make sure that your iPad is on the same WiFi network as your MacBook Pro. Launch Animoog and select 'Network Session 1' as MIDI output. On your Mac, launch Audio MIDI Setup, open the MIDI Studio window and double-click on Network. You should see your iPad in the Directory panel, select it and press the Connect button. This should allow Animoog to send MIDI wirelessly to your computer. You should see this as a MIDI device called 'Session 1' in Ableton.

Hope this helps.
Geert Bevin
Software Engineering Manager
Software Product Manager
Moog Music, Inc.