Guitar settings for the MF-102

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
1800-Babydoll

Guitar settings for the MF-102

Post by 1800-Babydoll » Tue Feb 28, 2006 2:32 pm

Anyone got some favourite settings, tips or tricks?

Robzilla

Post by Robzilla » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:28 pm

i use mine mainly as a soft tremolo on my clean sounds. it sounds really cool and just adds some coolness to the sound:

LFO Amount: 0 (so the rate and wave don't matter)
Mix: 4
LO/HI: LO
Freq: around 120 (this is the speed, do whatever you like)

This just gives me a nice shimmer to the sound. play with the mix knob for a more choppy sound. for some strange tremolo patterns, play with the rate knob of the LFO (turn the amount knob up aswell)

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:40 pm

I love the Ring Mod as a tremolo and think Robzilla's settings are a good place to start. If you have an expression pedal, then plug it into the Freq jack and you can vary the tremolo speed in real time while playing.

I also love the Ring Mod set to HI. I tend to keep the Mix setting fairly low, perhaps around 3. Then, I'll play the note corresponding to the root of the chord I'm playing over and tune the Ring Mod using the Freq control (actually, using my pedal) until it sounds good to my ears. From there, I can improvise over a static chord and get lots of interesting sounds. Some notes will be more pleasing than others, which adds to the tension/resolution of my improvising.

Another cool trick is to use the audio signal for both the audio in and the carrier in. I'll put my guitar into a delay pedal so that the audio signal is not delayed, but the carrier is. What happens is that the delayed signal will double the frequency, creating an octave timed by the delay. However, when you change pitch, the interaction of the carrier and audio signal will no longer be producing an octave, yielding a more complex ring mod signal.

For more complex source sounds (such as guitar in my case) it might be useful to put the carrier signal through a low pass filter in order to make the carrier signal simpler, producing a purer octave tone. I use either an EQ pedal or my MF-101 for this.

Good luck with your MF-102!
Bryan

asd

Post by asd » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:42 pm

neat trick using the delay with the 'carrier' side of your split audio signal! i hadn't thought about that before. i'll be experimenting with this and then putting a couple of pedals in the 104's loop and using an lfo to modulate the feedback and get odd, but related carrier signals....

Bryan T

Post by Bryan T » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:17 am

asd wrote:neat trick using the delay with the 'carrier' side of your split audio signal! i hadn't thought about that before. i'll be experimenting with this and then putting a couple of pedals in the 104's loop and using an lfo to modulate the feedback and get odd, but related carrier signals....
Now you are making me wish I had a 104! Using the delayed signal is a fun way to generate new tones. I do think putting the delayed signal through a low pass filter helps quite a bit, as the closer the signal looks to a sine wave, the more predictable the outcome (of course, if you don't want predictability, then forget the filter!). I also find that using wider pitch intervals in the melody gives "prettier" results, as the carrier won't be too close to the main note when the delay kicks in.

I love these pedals!

Bryan