Little Phatty not holding tune, even after calibration.

Everything Phatty.
lukewellington

Little Phatty not holding tune, even after calibration.

Post by lukewellington » Tue Aug 11, 2015 9:03 am

Hi Moogers,

I recently purchased a Little Phatty Stage 1, running firmware version 3.1 672.

When first powered up, the LP was majorly out of tune with itself (> 4 semitones over entire range).

I restored factory settings, calibrated the pitch wheel, PW amount, osc 2, and did a note calibration. This fixed the problem for a time, but if I power the LP off, or even start scrolling between presets or working on sounds, it goes crazily out of tune with itself again.

I've calibrated and reset everything many times, but still can't seem to make this problem go away, meaning that every time I use the LP, I have to spend hours calibrating before it's usable.

Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated!

Stuka

Re: Little Phatty not holding tune, even after calibration.

Post by Stuka » Tue Aug 11, 2015 10:25 pm

Are you letting the Phatty warm up before you start knob tweaking?
Analog synths need a warm-up period before their oscillators are in tune ~
My LP and both SP are definitely out of tune - with themselves and each other - until I let them warm up at 15 or 20 minutes.
(See the Note at the bottom of page 6 of the owners manual.)

If you're running the calibration routines, you need to let it warm up at least 30 minutes or so before starting the calibration, or you may have a difficult time getting everything to stay in tune. Once the routines are run correctly, provided you're gear isn't subject to a lot of temperature fluctuations. you probably won't need to calibrate but once or twice a year.
(See the Note at the bottom of page 45 of the owners manual.)

The key is to let the synth warm up, EVERY time you turn it on, before you start doing anything with it...
Little Phatty Solar CV, Minitaur, Slim Phatty (x2), MF-101, MF-102, MF-103, MF-104M, MF-105M, MF-108M, CP-251 (x2), Animoog app, Filtatron app, Model D app, Model 15 app...and some 5U modular and Doepfer stuff...

lukewellington

Re: Little Phatty not holding tune, even after calibration.

Post by lukewellington » Fri Aug 14, 2015 8:53 am

Hey Stuka,

This problem was solved with the firmware update thankfully. I was calibrating and playing after the LP having been on for hours, so warming up wasn't the issue. Stoked to have it in tune and working properly!