ROGUE/T2....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
megavoice

ROGUE/T2....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

Post by megavoice » Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:18 pm

Hello my mates,

as I already announced, here`s the simple instruction for simple upgrading your ROGUE/T2 to keep up strongly with the other two Ts.
You have to swap merely 2 resitors as described in following:
1.R 147, the original value is 12 kOhm.
The new recommended value to put in is 6,8 kOhm.
You can of course minimize the value but you`re risking to have distorted output level after. So I think this one is the most ideal.
The result will be an increased output level AT! the VCA.
It`s very useful when cutting off the Filter frequency with the slider down to the bottom to have still enough loudness then on the output.
I like very much to use settings like these as they`re VERY warm but still "bold" after the upgrading because of having enough bottom.

2. R 149, the original value is 100 kOhm.
The new recommended value to put in is 1 meg, (1000 kOhm)
This new value you can find in all newer second versions of the PRODIGY too.
This causes AFTER the VCA a widening of the Filter broadness downwards into the deeper frequencies down to the lowest C (T2), and on
the ROGUE to the deepest note either.
Before the mod you can perceive that the deepest notes get weaker and weaker when going down the scale down to the deepest
note, but after the mod basses don`t "drop" any more and all notes are sounding now FAT and BOLD.

That`s it.
It is recommended to find a standard level setting BEFORE the mod on your PA/Hi-Fi system to have a reference for the state after the mod.

Now comparing the T2 with the T1:
After the mod there`s only a slight difference between the two in boldness and fatness.
The T1 sounds more like a "Big Daddy" and the T2 sounds still like "Lions Roaring", now much fatter but not much different lke the T1.
Of course one should never forget, that the T1 has two ENVs and the T2 has Sync, LFO and Noise additionally.

Finally one important thing I discovered:

Playing the lowest four notes on the keybed downwards on the T1 they lose loudness, the deeper you go, but slightly.
This is not the case after the T2 mod. You`re going to have the same loudness level down to the deepest note.
Last edited by megavoice on Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

MC

Re: ROGUE/T2....BOOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMM

Post by MC » Tue Jun 09, 2015 5:29 pm

megavoice wrote:2. R 145, the original value is 100 kOhm.
Shouldn't that be R149?

Number one, the values are WAY off, and number two if you make the changes to R145 you could blow the CA3080 (U16)

The change to R149 makes more sense since that is altering the RC product of the audio output driver, hence the frequency response.

Did you play with C26/C29? Larger caps there may help.

I got a lot of Moogs, but don't have a Rogue or T2 brain.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jun 09, 2015 8:59 pm

I have a Rogue brain. Suppressing the voices inside is is becoming more and more difficult.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Wed Jun 10, 2015 1:14 pm

MC wrote:
megavoice wrote:2. R 145, the original value is 100 kOhm.
Shouldn't that be R149?

Number one, the values are WAY off, and number two if you make the changes to R145 you could blow the CA3080 (U16)

The change to R149 makes more sense since that is altering the RC product of the audio output driver, hence the frequency response.

Did you play with C26/C29? Larger caps there may help.

I got a lot of Moogs, but don't have a Rogue or T2 brain.
O.K. I`m gonna ask back to my tech, maybe I had been overlooking something.
But thank you for your hint.

I also forgot one important thing for the T2. This one has in comparison to the T1 the "Overdrive"-function and area on top of the mixer section. This may cause that typical "Lion`s Roaring" on the T2 that the T1 doesn`t have. But please correct me if I`m wrong.

The next step I intended to do is to set down the whole footage for one octave. That means, '32 becomes '64, '16 becomes to '32, and the '8 will be then '16.
I always missed to play deeper notes so this mod will be very practicable.
My tech said on the Prodigy you`ll have to add just one resistor in some place to set down the whole footage for one octave.
He has to look in the schems to see if it`s the same.

I also reflected about adding one square sub to each oscillator, but it`s more work to do, and adding Puls Width control either.
"Losers always whine about their best. Winners go home and fu** the prom queen." —Sean Connery to Nicholas Cage in "The Rock" (1996)
I've never seen any real prom queen here in my country, but if we had some they'd
**** with everyone.

megavoice

Post by megavoice » Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:03 pm

O.K. thank you again, MC, for being awake. :wink:
From the technical side everything`s right more than ever.
But, it was only ME who did the mistake: After digging out my paper archieves and writing down quickly the mod work on a sheet of paper the number "9" became to a "5".
So it`s RIGHT: The proper resistor is 149 ! and NOT 145 ! And of course the mod had been done on the 149 previously. If not it wouldn`t work. The unit would only go crazy, that`s all....
Like my tech said yesterday there had NEVER been a risk of anything getting blown or broken if the mod had been done on the R 145
The CA 3080 U16 would NOT get broken ! Only not working.
But despite I`ve to apologize for this emphaticly...... :oops:
I`m going to correct the notification in my first post too to make all safe.

Also, the values of the mod on the 147 is NOT "way off". The result had been compared and proved immediately after the mod procedure carefully with reference to the state before.
How could I achieve such an extrordinary goal otherwise ???????? It`s a GREAT enhancement of the output level.
I`m working now with this mod for about two years and I`m able to dig out sounds and deep frequencies I never could do that fine before !!!
The whole unit is working ABSOLUTELY GREAT and there`s NO REASON for any doubts.

As for the C 26 and C 29, that`s not a bad idea, but my tech said their values are high enough and should not, or are not allowed to be altered.
BUt: As I mentioned above, I like passionately to do the "footage transpose mod" and for this the C 37 becomes important.
It is likely that the new deep frequencies maybe appear kinda weak and therefore it should be experimented to increase the C 37 value.
One should imagine, the deep "C" would have a frequency of 16 Hz after transposing. But it`s still audible and usable.
I`m looking SO MUCH forward on this.......
And even more, my tech found a way to verify the whole thing by installing a toggle switch that will enable to switch between the original footage and the transposed.
I`ll report all about this when the mod had been in practise for a while.....
**** with everyone.