MF Delay Resistance Value

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
abusque

MF Delay Resistance Value

Post by abusque » Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:29 am

Hi,

I've acquired an MF Delay pedal which turned out to be defective. I've pinpointed the issue to the R107 resistor, but I can't find its original resistance value in order to replace it. Does anyone have that information available?

Thanks!

bichuelo

Re: MF Delay Resistance Value

Post by bichuelo » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:00 am

R107 is a 20 ohm resistor
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Control_Voltage

Post by Control_Voltage » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:58 pm

Hi there,

Andy from the Moog Tech Lab here.

Is your pedal new or second hand?

You may want to send it to the factory for repair. If you intend to repair this your self I would suggest checking diode D104 also, it is a protection diode and may have been damaged when a wrong power supply was plugged into it. The specific part is a MMSZ4695 8.7V zener SOD0123

Feel free to contact me at [email protected] for more information.

Thanks,
Andy Hughes
Tech Support Manager
Moog Music, Inc.

willvis

Post by willvis » Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:31 am

So what IS the proper power for MF Delay? You HAVE to use the wall wart from Moog? Please explain. I bought one and thought I could use it with Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+. I wonder why Moog would not package the pedal w/ a power supply if it only works w/ that PS---many companies, like EHX, do just that.

If this is not the case, I need to know.

I used mine the other day in a recording session and the MF Delay was causing a very pronounced frequency hump around 300 hz. I know that Analog Delay is by nature a dark sound---but 300 hz is almost always a frequency you are rolling off to avoid muddy sound.

So I'm a little disappointed for now. What seemed like a great deal for a great delay is turning into a very expensive paper weight. Help me out here.

breun

Post by breun » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:40 pm

willvis wrote:So what IS the proper power for MF Delay? You HAVE to use the wall wart from Moog? Please explain. I bought one and thought I could use it with Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2+.
It says right on the specs tab of the product page:
POWER: +9VDC
CURRENT: 21mA Nominal / 25mA Max
Should work just fine with a Voodoo Lab Pedal Power 2 Plus, if you plug it into an outlet that's set to 9VDC.

If you don't want to damage your gear, remember to never use a higher voltage than a piece of gear is rated for. A lower voltage may mean it won't work, but it will never damage the unit. Some analog units, especially dirt pedals, may take a higher voltage than indicated on the pedal, but I generally don't take the risk. Digital effects rarely survive a voltage that's too high.

Don't forget to check for polarity. Most effect pedals these days, like the Minifoogers, use center negative barrel type plugs, but there are still some oddballs out there.

Current is less dangerous: you're good if the power supply can supply at least the current that's required by the unit. It won't draw more than it needs. If your power supply can't supply enough mA, the effect may sound strange or not work, but it won't damage the unit.
willvis wrote:I wonder why Moog would not package the pedal w/ a power supply if it only works w/ that PS---many companies, like EHX, do just that.
Adding a power supply adds to the price, while a lot of people will use a power supply that powers multiple pedals (like your Voodoo Lab unit) and don't have any use for yet another 9VDC power supply. I prefer pedals that don't ship with a power supply myself, since I have no use for them and I wouldn't want to have to pay for them. You can always buy one separately if you need one. (EHX also doesn't ship power supplies for a lot of pedals by the way.)