MoogerFooger CV pedals... not very durable, need alternate

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
quentin

MoogerFooger CV pedals... not very durable, need alternate

Post by quentin » Tue Nov 18, 2003 12:18 pm

Hi,

I have a mooger fooger ring modulator and love it. I bought it with 3 of the control voltage pedals, for real time experimentation in my band's live performances. It works great - but the pedals break all the darn time. All the gears are plastic and are wearing, and the actual potentiometer inside the pedal is very easily popped out of it's seat. It's pretty annoying, and at this point I'm repairing them after practically every performance.

Anyone out there using another brand of CV pedal that's better made? I need something that's built for real use. I get the feeling that the moog brand pedals are for home or studio use - certainly they're not designed for the road.

Any/All help greatly appreciated!
Quentin

dzy88p

Post by dzy88p » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:43 pm

Quentin,

Are you talking about the moogerfooger pedal that is offered on this site?

I have one but I was disappointed in the way it performs. Not at all like the old Moog Pedal Controller that was built like a tank.

quentin

Post by quentin » Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:53 pm

Hi Steve,

Yes, I'm talking about the Moog EP-1 expression pedal, available on moogmusic at this link:

http://www.moogmusic.com/detail.php?main_product_id=82

I'm not very happy with them at all. For that $40 price tag, they sure leave tons to be desired. I did get mine at a price of $25 each from a different distributor - still not worth that price either, though.

What is the Moog Pedal Controller? Is it still available new, or is that something from the past?

Best regards,
Quentin

Impossible Sound

Post by Impossible Sound » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:13 pm

The Yamaha FC-7 is big, heavy, and built like a rubber coated tank. I use one on the MF-103. It's definitely more road worthy than the Moog EP-1 or the Roland EV-5 (and it actually costs less than the Roland).

quentin

Post by quentin » Wed Nov 19, 2003 4:26 pm

Thank you! I'm going to try the Yamaha.

dzy88p

Post by dzy88p » Thu Nov 20, 2003 3:21 pm

Quentin,

Hope the Yamaha works for you. I also use a Roland EV-5 in my home studio, but not on the road.

The Moog 1120 Pedal Controller is a big all-metal pedal which requires 9-volt external power. No longer in production.

MisterModular

Post by MisterModular » Sun Nov 30, 2003 4:24 pm

This Moog Pedal is what you want. Not my auction but an example of the old "tank like" moog pedals.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... gory=38071

jago

if anyone knows...

Post by jago » Thu Mar 25, 2004 5:18 am

hello, do you know if the rolls RFX412 Stereo Panner/Volume/C.V. Pedal will work with moogerfooger? i ask this question because of this review : http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/ ... er-01.html
:roll:

jago

Re: if anyone knows...

Post by jago » Mon Mar 29, 2004 6:46 pm

jago wrote:hello, do you know if the rolls RFX412 Stereo Panner/Volume/C.V. Pedal will work with moogerfooger? i ask this question because of this review : http://www.harmony-central.com/Effects/ ... er-01.html
:roll:
edit: so i have it and it works perfectly with a stereo jack. and the guy at harmony central was wrong... sorry for the useless message.

jgallardo

Yamaha FC-7 doesn't cut it

Post by jgallardo » Thu May 20, 2004 2:15 pm

quentin,

I hope you didn't get the Yamaha pedal. Reading this post, I ordered it, and found that the entire parameter range is controlled through about the first 10% of the pedal's travel.

I am, like jago, disappointed with the moogerfooger expression pedal, and continue my search for a good alternate.

-jgallardo

MC

Post by MC » Thu May 20, 2004 3:32 pm

You do not want a volume pedal.

You want a CV Pedal.

Volume pedals use audio taper pots whereas CV pedals use linear taper pots. If you use an audio taper pot on a CV input like the Moogerfoogers, you will get exactly the behavior jgallardo experienced; almost all the control is in the first 10% of the pedal's travel. A CV pedal with linear pots will work correctly.

Unfortunately there is next to nothing in CV pedals on the market. I have a couple of good ones from Morley but they are not made anymore.

There is a DIY solution however. It is not hard to swap pots in most pedals. If you have a volume pedal, it can be converted to a CV pedal by replacing the existing pot with a linear taper 5K pot. There may be some more wiring to get it to work with the TRS plugs used on the MF pedals and the Voyager so consult with your friendly local tech.

Dannymon

Roland EV5

Post by Dannymon » Sat May 29, 2004 11:31 am

Does anyone knows if the Roland EV5 expression pedals will work good with the foogers? Would I be able to sweep the whole range of the pedal or just 10% ?

Thanks for our replies!