Foogers with Electro-Harmonix 8-step sequencer

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
petrveliky

Foogers with Electro-Harmonix 8-step sequencer

Post by petrveliky » Thu May 08, 2014 1:21 pm

Hey everyone! I'm really stoked to have recently grabbed an EHX 8-Step Program and am looking for ideas as far as what I can do with it and my Moogerfoogers and Phatty. I've got a Lowpass, Ring Mod, and Phaser, as well as the EHX Deluxe Memory Boy with a CV in.

So far I've been trying all sorts of things, like turning the MF-101 resonance all the way up to self-oscillate and sequencing the cutoff into weird little melodies. To further muck up that sequence I've been putting that sine wave through the MF-103 and setting it to a really slow phase with the Drive knob maxed out, so the disorted notes change drastically over the course of 30-40 seconds with the LFO at a low rate. Finally I've been sending the MF-103 LFO to the EHX memory boy input and setting that to gently control the delay time, which has been adding some strange ascending and descending shimmering sounds behind the main note sequence. It's almost like a primitive modular synthesizer!

Anyway what I'm getting at is, how else would you apply these cool effects to one another? I'm looking for cool ways to use these amazing tools in a rock band setting?

Vsyevolod

Re: Foogers with Electro-Harmonix 8-step sequencer

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu May 08, 2014 6:09 pm

It is a modular synthesizer, make no mistake about it.

Stephen

EricK

Post by EricK » Thu May 08, 2014 7:48 pm

Video please!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

bichuelo

Post by bichuelo » Fri May 09, 2014 1:39 am

EricK wrote:Video please!
+1 (or it did not happen)
http://audiotecna.info
T-III, Voyager, VX-351, Slim Phatty, Model D, Sub Phatty, Subsequent 37, Minitaur, all moogerfoogers and minifoogers, EW+, Theremini, Model 15, Filtatron, Animoog, Model D App, iOS 11 Mother-32, DFAM, Werkstatt, Win7, High Sierra

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri May 09, 2014 9:42 am

The 8-step really completed a void I had in my setup.

For the "rock band" use, it works well to turn your filter and your phaser into step filters sync'd to the tempo. You could probably use it to get two or more speeds of trem from the 102, with a ramp up in speed. It really is such a useful controller.

It works well to act as a custom shaped LFO.

You could sync it to the phaser lfo using the expression input - you may need some attenuation or help from a CP-251 mixer, but I'm not 100% - I haven't tried that yet.

You could use the envelope out of the 101 into the 8 step exp in and control step changes with playing dynamics, or sync timing.

There is just so much you can do - have "preset" pitches for your ring mod (each step can be tuned to a different note like you have done with the self oscillation).

I use mine with the filter and the delay(104Z) mostly... my other foogers live in the studio and only get used unless I record.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

facon

Post by facon » Fri May 09, 2014 10:50 am

Alien8 wrote:There is just so much you can do - have "preset" pitches for your ring mod (each step can be tuned to a different note like you have done with the self oscillation).
Crap!! Now I need an 8-step.

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri May 09, 2014 1:11 pm

Its really a decent solution for the price - as soon as I found out they were available I got one.

There are a few quirks about it, but most of them don't matter or can be polished with a CP. It really covers a lot of ground and if combined with a DAW / Midi Sequencer it goes further - most importantly: MIDI -> CV
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Kirneh Ness

Post by Kirneh Ness » Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:50 pm

I almost fell over it, as I am getting a Minitaur. I therefore thought my modular set up should have some sequencer, and I found it. It is just really great for the price. One example: Setting it to modulate the (high) frequency of my ring modulator really brought out some huge alien choirs. Only sound source was a selfoscillation from the MF-101. And it syncs. And you control the intensity live. There!

Another glimpse into infinite possibilities. :shock:

I am still waiting for the Minitaur - should get it soon. Hope it is not acting quirky on me - as many has reported minor stability problems with it. But as bass comes it just sounds awesome from what I can dig up!
Guitars. Moog Grandmother, DFAM, Subharmonicon, Minitaur, Slim Phatty, Moogerfoogers 101, 102, 103, 104M, 107, 108M and CP-251. Yamaha CS-15. Roland JUNO 106. DSI Tetr4. Arturia Beatstep Pro. Korg ARP Odyssey Module Rev1. Dreadbox NYX 2.

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Tue Mar 15, 2016 9:08 am

I just ordered an 8step, looking forward to finding out what it can do... wil post :)

deadhedgehog

Post by deadhedgehog » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:21 am

Hello again

I got my 8-step yesterday and I have found it a lot of fun with foogers, though I REALLY wish that there were more steps available. Still, by having it run in "bounce" mode I got it to play in 14/8. 8)

Does anybody know of a relatively inexpensive CV-sequencer with up to 16 programmable steps at least?

Anyway here are the results, set against a 19/8 groove. All sounds that are not drums are foogers. Delay, ringmod, LPF. I used a loop station to make it all hang together, also sending midi clock to the 8-step.

https://soundcloud.com/deadhedgehog/19- ... dier-think

Peace and love

jsharpphoto

Post by jsharpphoto » Thu Mar 17, 2016 10:50 am

deadhedgehog wrote:Hello again

I got my 8-step yesterday and I have found it a lot of fun with foogers, though I REALLY wish that there were more steps available. Still, by having it run in "bounce" mode I got it to play in 14/8. 8)

Does anybody know of a relatively inexpensive CV-sequencer with up to 16 programmable steps at least?

Anyway here are the results, set against a 19/8 groove. All sounds that are not drums are foogers. Delay, ringmod, LPF. I used a loop station to make it all hang together, also sending midi clock to the 8-step.

https://soundcloud.com/deadhedgehog/19- ... dier-think

Peace and love
If by "programmable" you mean with memory storage, than that would be the Arturia beatstep. If by "programmable" you just mean "not random" than the korg sq-1 is what you want.
Moog Format Modular
Model D (2016)
Moog Subsequent37
Oberheim OB-6
Sequential Rev2