MF Drive filter versus ladder filter in Moog synths

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
Tuskerfort

MF Drive filter versus ladder filter in Moog synths

Post by Tuskerfort » Thu Apr 10, 2014 8:42 am

Can the filter in MF Drive replicate the kind of pedal based wah that one could use a MF101 or one of the Moog synths for?

Does the filter ever close completely? Is it a 4 pole low pass? In the youtube videos I have seen it seems more like a peaking filter with some gain (resonance) that you can sweep, than a low pass. Is this correct? :?

Is there a clean setting that would allow you to use the MF drive primarily as a filter?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry

modoc_333

Re: MF Drive filter versus ladder filter in Moog synths

Post by modoc_333 » Sat Apr 12, 2014 12:14 am

there isn't really a clean setting that will do that. it won't do the exact same type of wah as the filter, but it does a REALLY cool fuzz/drive-wah thing. it's the best feature of the pedal!
-Keith

Guitars at Bailey Brothers Music... Birmingham, AL

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Tue Apr 15, 2014 10:50 pm

You are essentially trading the drive circuit (on the ... um ... drive) for the resonance and envelope follower on the MF-101.

I tried running the MF101 with Mix on 100% dry then piping env out into the Drive pedal to see what sort of dynamics could be had. It was mildly interesting but nothing wonderful (whereby, the MF-101 = wonderful).

The range of usable dynamics is very fine and you can get some very nice hot spots in specific spots on the expression pedal but when trying to 'play' amplitude, it become much more difficult to control.

Which brings us back full circle, exp pedal is king on the MF-Drive.

I'm a Bass player and primarily finger funk style; if I played with a pick, maybe it would be a different result. For sure, the feedback above, that it's tough to get a clean signal is true; you can do it but the pedal really shines with some combination of drive dirt and filtered harmonics.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

leighmarble

Post by leighmarble » Thu Apr 24, 2014 1:39 pm

Tuskerfort wrote:Can the filter in MF Drive replicate the kind of pedal based wah that one could use a MF101 or one of the Moog synths for?
In a word, no. The filter on the MF Drive is 12dB/oct, so it's not as sharp as the MF101 can be, and 12dB/oct doesn't really cut it as a wah replacement. The filter doesn't close completely either, though it does go down to about 80Hz (mine does, anyways - published specs say 100Hz).

http://www.moogmusic.com/products/minif ... #specs-tab

cheers,
Leigh