Sub Phatty for the novice-first post

Everything Sub.
blackjuju

Sub Phatty for the novice-first post

Post by blackjuju » Sat Jan 11, 2014 2:18 pm

Greetings, new member here. I am inexperienced with electronic instruments. I'm interested in purchasing the SP as my first synthesizer because it has the sound I want. I am now hesitant because I am under the impression that this instrument was shipped with programming errors and that I would have to update the OS right out of the box to get the correct performance from it. I am assuming this from reading the Firmware update threads. I would like something I could just play and not have to connect online with. Is that possible with today's synths ? I am willing to learn but am admittedly confused with the accounts of troubleshooting and updating these instruments. I am wanting to compose some simple arrangements with a multitrack type recorder. I am an acoustic percussionist, bad guitarist and have no experience beyond playing in guitar bands 30 years ago. Any advice would be appreciated. -James

CleverConQueso

Re: Sub Phatty for the novice-first post

Post by CleverConQueso » Sun Jan 12, 2014 2:34 pm

If your goal is to open the box and press keys to make sounds then fear not. There's a button on the front called 'panel mode' and it means that whatever the knob points at is what the sound you're getting is made out of. There are fine points of course, but we're talking about a freshly opened box in this scenario. You can also start with any of the 16 presets and go from there.

The synth ships with a 'stable' firmware. Conversation on the forum is typically about updates and new features and sometimes faulty new machines, which can happen.

If you read the forums you'll mostly find folks exploring the deeper features of the synth like software or CV integration and 'under the hood' features. The problems with these are a combination of software errors and user errors. The under the hood features are a little vague because there's no screen to indicate what you've done and whether the setting stuck when you applied them. Also they get less use so the problems don't appear as easily. Then it's hard to tell if it's you or them, see the screen comment above.

But the good news is that these problems are related to deeper features which means that as your interest and ability grows, so will your use of the instrument. Some folks have developed tools such as IPad apps or Moog's own editor to make dealing with these easier, but they're not fundamental to making good sounds from the box.

As for firmware updates, when a big one come out, the process is straight-forward.

bgirl

Post by bgirl » Sun Jan 12, 2014 4:33 pm

Hello,

To the op: as you i just wanted to use it straight away, so i didn't bother with those many updates. I will when a stable release is ready, but for now it works as expected and described in the official manual 8)

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:09 pm

Hi James, and welcome to the forum :)

I think you'll always find many problem testimonials on the forum. It's logocal, in a way: gather hundreds of users of particular instruments, consider they will certainly tell when they encounter something weird, consider then they will be grumpy half of those times... it's logical :wink:

Now, Moog instruments are not like those ones you have to plug to your computer in order to play: they are standalone instruments. You can connect them for several purposes like control them from a computer, sequence them from a computer, update the OS, manage presets whenever the instrument has this feature. But you are not stuck the day your computer blows.

I've been playing a Little Phatty for 2-3 years now and I remember connecting it maybe 5 times. It's a straight-forward synth you play right out of the box, just as if it was not connectable or had no memory slots etc. The SubPhatty is of the same blood. As stated before, the "Active panel" button allows you to play it precisely as if it has no memories. I guess the novice you say to be will not get into the under-the-hood features before a while and I'm sure you'll have much fun till then :)

By the way, to be sure: how are you planning to play it? This may help the Mooguys here giving you some advice.

blackjuju

Post by blackjuju » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:10 pm

Thanks for the replies. I have been reading a lot and am understanding more every day. I am interested in just playing simple bass, leads and effects for some minimalist type arrangements. It's mostly a project to entertain myself with. - James