VX-351

Tips and techniques for Minimoog Analog Synthesizers
loraxman

VX-351

Post by loraxman » Wed Nov 27, 2013 1:11 pm

Could someone sum up what types of added functionality I can get with Voyager by adding this module?

ColorForm2113

Re: VX-351

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 6:18 pm

it allows you to do alot of the" under the hood" pot mapping with patch cables instead. also gives you TONs more control over moogerfoogers and other cv controllable gear.
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

LivePsy

Post by LivePsy » Thu Nov 28, 2013 7:06 pm

The lack of replies and the vagueness of the only one is very telling. I'd like to know specifically what useful patching you can do with a VX-351 you can't do with the mod bus options or pot mapping. My VX is used to drive other analog gear from the keyboard output and that's it. If you plug stuff into the jacks on the top of the Voyager then changing patches is pointless anyway so the VX is not that useful IMO.

Anyone vehemently defending the VX-351? What does it do the voyager can't internally?
B
I've stopped talking now.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Thu Nov 28, 2013 8:41 pm

The VX is all about external control of other CV synths and MF's. As far as difference with internal controls, it has mults and attenuators, meaning you can have multiple mod busses. And of course you need a cp-251 with it, so you can mix multiple mod sources to get completely new forms of modulation. The XL version is just an onboard vx and cp-251 with a ribbon and larger keyboard.

You can do really cool things with the patch points, like enveloping delay time on a 104, using the touch pad to modulate 3 different MF's or more, etc, etc, etc. With the CP-251 and some MF's (and a MP-201) you have a full fledged semi-modular system without bounds.

That is what I miss most about the voyager. If you think creatively enough, you can do things no one has ever done in quite the same way.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Thu Nov 28, 2013 9:13 pm

loraxman wrote:Could someone sum up what types of added functionality I can get with Voyager by adding this module?
The Voyager has 10 Control Voltage and 4 Gate Inputs on the back side. The VX-351 contains 19 Control Voltage and 2 Gate Outputs. If having access to these outputs is important to you, the VX-351 is the only way to reach them. Otherwise, these CV's are only available to the Voyager itself. Having things like the 3 axis of the touchscreen able to control other modules is really fantastic. Similar to why someone will purchase the Etherwave Pro... because it gives you CV outputs of what was originally only used internally.

Stephen

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 29, 2013 8:33 am

I have an example, a simple one though.

On a Voyager Old School (nothing else that the two mod busses here… non pot map!), I patch the LFO Square output (from the VX) to the GATE IN so that it trigs the envelopes once per cycle.
I then switch the VCA in "ON" mode: rythmic drones come in :)

I can furthremore send it into the EHX 8 Step Program to control its tempo, the said EHX being in control of the Voyager's pitch or anything.

Indeed the VX usage is more relevant with external CV'd gear or with an Old School edition.
Last edited by stiiiiiiive on Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

fyvewytches

Post by fyvewytches » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:18 am

stiiiiiiive wrote:Indeed the VX usage is more relevant with external CV'd gear of with an Old School edition.
stiiiiiiive,

Could you explain what you mean by that ? I control a lot of external gear fro the VX but I'm not sure why an OS edition is more relevant than a standard Voyager.
Latest track, Dancing On The Ecliptic http://soundcloud.com/ianman/dancing-on ... iptic-demo

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Fri Nov 29, 2013 9:27 am

Having a largish modular system, the vx is really nice. It gives me note, pressure, gate and velocity info from the Voyager. Also becomes a decent midi convertor. Being able to take the touch screen out is a big plus. Reversing attenuators is not glamorous, but VERY useful. (Think about the envelope follower in the mf101)
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:11 am

fyvewytches wrote:
stiiiiiiive wrote:Indeed the VX usage is more relevant with external CV'd gear of with an Old School edition.
stiiiiiiive,

Could you explain what you mean by that ? I control a lot of external gear fro the VX but I'm not sure why an OS edition is more relevant than a standard Voyager.
I mistyped and corrected the orginal post: what was meant was "more relevant with external CV'd gear OR with an Old School edition".
I mean the VX is more relevant when controlling external gear. For the Voyager by itself, unless you have an Old School one, the pot map seems to be a convenient solution since it accompanies patch changes.

Sorry I was confusing.

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Sat Nov 30, 2013 1:23 pm

The [new school] Voyager is not usable as a modular controller as far as Kbd control is concerned withOUT the VX-351 for the simple matter that Gate out and Pitch CV out do not exist on the Voyager panel. (the Old School has this built in)

But either version of the Voyager excels as a modular controller as Just Me described but I'll go further and say that the CV outs on the VX for Filter and Amp Envelopes mean that you can get by with an extremely small modular (no env gens required, no midi-to-cv) and you can feed the output of your modular filter back into the Voyager Input and use the internal VCA; so a minimal modular is really all that you need:

a) your choice of VCO (MOS-LAB Kobol comes to mind or maybe a FreqBox)
b) a Filter of perhaps a different type like a Sea Devils or Post Lawsuit/Arp type (or maybe a MF-101 set to 2-pole)

Summing a slewed unidirectional velocity voltage (downward only) with the envelope CV also makes an external non-voltage controlled envelope generator, voltage controlled which is nice. Plucky patches with quick decay merely need velocity CV added to envelope for the initial strike.

Some people say that there isn't much to the VX-351 for the cost of it and to some extent this is true but you are paying for the Engineering, tooling and finish of it, not just the fact that it's x # of jacks, two pots and an extremely simple circuit board layout with a minimum of components.

Voyager or Old School (or Phatty of any time) is awesome on their own but to open up your world, add CV outs/ins and introduce your Moog to the makings of a modular; before you know it, you'll be eating ramen noodles for lunch in order to save for the next module and the next one after that.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 5:46 pm

EMwhite wrote:The [new school] Voyager is not usable as a modular controller as far as Kbd control is concerned withOUT the VX-351 for the simple matter that Gate out and Pitch CV out do not exist on the Voyager panel. (the Old School has this built in)
You sure about that? From the pictures the outputs look the exact same.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Sat Nov 30, 2013 6:47 pm

unfiltered37 wrote:You sure about that? From the pictures the outputs look the exact same.
In my post above, I said
The Voyager has 10 Control Voltage and 4 Gate Inputs on the back side. The VX-351 contains 19 Control Voltage and 2 Gate Outputs.
Implied though not stated directly is this: The Voyager has NO CV or Gate outputs period. Just main audio outs plus an insert for audio.

The Voyager has only CV and Gate inputs. The VX-351 has only CV and Gate outputs.

Hope this clarifies things.

Stephen

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:06 pm

So what were you talking about when you said "the old school has this built in?

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sat Nov 30, 2013 9:23 pm

The Old School effectively has both a KB Gate output and KB CV output on top of the panel, which the "regular" Voyager doesn't have.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion