new synth vs. vintage

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:45 am

ColorForm2113 wrote: And as for the new vs old debate, none of my synths are really new but I have my analog (micro moog) , analog/digital hybrid (korg poly800) and digital (casio cz5000) they all continue to inspire me in different ways. I started off as kind of an analog snob but have found a deep appreiciation for digital synths (some of them). Each synth can do something one of the other can't. So new vs old. Who wins? Who ever learns to enjoy an instrument for what it is , and not for what name badge is painted or glued on to it
Well said, indeed! :D You'll never get an analog sound from a digital synth, and you'll never get an analog synth to sound like a piano. They both have their uses. SOFTWARE, on the other hand, can sound (somewhat) like anything you need it to. The only application I personally would use software for would be to emulate a Mellotron/Chamberlain. But lots of people swear by software. And I am tired of arguing with those people. :lol:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:06 am

Everything has its place. I know a guy who thinks that the Waldorf Wave is the best synth ever made.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:19 am

Well, the Wave is a good synth. The MicroWave is more in my price range, and sounds almost as good. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

LeRoi

Post by LeRoi » Tue Jan 27, 2009 10:42 am

For me, the novelty of vintage has worn off. Too much headache until I learn how to do my own repairs. I'll take a warranty... thank you very much.

And for that matter, I'll take digital, analog, hardware, software, MIDI, and or CV. "A place for everything. And everything in its place."

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:04 am

LeRoi wrote:For me, the novelty of vintage has worn off. Too much headache until I learn how to do my own repairs. I'll take a warranty... thank you very much.

And for that matter, I'll take digital, analog, hardware, software, MIDI, and or CV. "A place for everything. And everything in its place."
I can do my own repairs, and I got sick of it. Even silly jobs like replacing the batteries in a TX816... you have to remove it from the rack, remove the modules... if music is a hobby then you could lose a week's worth of spare time just faffing about.
Some things hurt more than cars & girls
Sound: Voyager PE, VX-351, CP-251; AIRA, MiniNova, Karma, Reason, Maschine, OP-1
Control: Zaquencer, Reason, Panorama P4

EricK

Post by EricK » Tue Jan 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Well as far as the novelty of Vintage goes...

There is something to say about those units that have proved themselves versus ones that have yet to.

Kind of like how a 66 mustang beats one of those new plastic mustangs anyday.

That and while a warranty is good thing to have, theres the pride that goes into saying that you hold a good condition Model D.

I just wish I could say that lol.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Tue Jan 27, 2009 2:45 pm

Actually, the new Mustangs are faster...even with the V6. Just don't tell the vintage Mustang guys that. :shock: