Moogerfooger 102 vs. Minifooger Ring

Welcome to the world of Minifooger Analog Effects
Raaku

Moogerfooger 102 vs. Minifooger Ring

Post by Raaku » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:21 am

I'm about to add a ring mod to my pedal board, but I can't quite choose between the MF 102 and the new Minifooger.

The pros of the MF that I can see are the wider range of CV possibilities and the additional LFO. The cons are the higher price and larger size, as my board is kinda full already.

The pros of the Minifooger are likewise its smaller size and lower price. I also have a CP-251 that I could add to my board and get the LFO from there. The frequency of the ring mod is the main thing I'd like to modulate via CV anyway.

These points taken in mind I feel like the Minifooger would be the right choice, but I'm not sure if I'm missing some major pros of the Moogerfooger. What do you guys think?

EMwhite

Re: Moogerfooger 102 vs. Minifooger Ring

Post by EMwhite » Wed Oct 23, 2013 6:35 pm

If you have any interest at all in synth and CV (sounds like you might since you have CP-251), go with the full size pedal. Yeah, it's bigger but it's got an OSC out, an LFO out, and other goodies. The diff in price is $100? That's one bad meal or 20 cups of coffee : )

And another pedal board is only $79 or maybe make one out of a piece of scrap ply.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 3:07 pm

If you are playing guitar or bass soley & only want to achieve a ring modulated sound, I would go for the MF Ring. The reason is the tone control on the ring mod sound is a great addition, and it is designed to do a great job at that sound.

If you want to use some of all of the abilities of the MF-102, meaning drive, tremolo, vibrato, VCA, carrier input (octave up tones), ring mod sounds, and have both an OSC out & LFO out, then get the MF-102. The lack of a tone knob means nothing in this unit.
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Headphones

Post by Headphones » Fri Oct 25, 2013 9:40 pm

It'd be interesting if you could chain them both together, but most people don't want to spend that much, and usually one pedal is what they're willing to spend and call it good. If space is a premium, and you didn't need the extra features of the MF-102, then you can make do with the Mini-Ring. If you're willing to make any extra room on your pedal board (or start a 2nd one), then why not go with the MF-102? Your CP-251 will work great with it....

:D

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Oct 28, 2013 1:30 am

I have two 102's and the MiniFooger Ring is still looking pretty darn sweet...

As a Tremolo pedal, the Mini is about as good as it gets. I'd get it for that alone just to put on my guitar pedalboard. Plus you get Ring Modulation... how sweet is that? The 102 does sooooo much more, so you really have to ask yourself what you want to do with it. The MiniFooger will still accept the LFO from the CP-251, or any other CV for that matter.

I have to say that the entire line of MiniFoogers seem to be incredibly well thought out (I didn't think that at first, I was puzzling over the choices of pedals that they made). And some of the demo's that have been posted so far online are pretty darn impressive.

Stephen

EMwhite

Post by EMwhite » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:21 am

Vsyevolod wrote:I have to say that the entire line of MiniFoogers seem to be incredibly well thought out
Indeed and if I were a guitar player, I'd be scooping up whole family. With the jacks on the back they can be spaced so closely together, very efficient.

But I'm not a guitar player, just a crappy makeshift bass player so I just bought the MF DRIVE pedal and like it alot.

One of the blocks over at Muffwiggler said that he wondered if it would be good (MF DRIVE) to keep in his signal path all the time; the only thing missing, I know we can't have it all, is that there is no MIX on it. If I could have one thing added to any of them, it would be that. Guitar players have zero use for MIX, they want overdriven sound and nothing else; who wants a low volume twang mixed in with driving distortion. But as a Bass player, you don't want to lose that low end but do want to mix in some crunchiness. So it looks like I'm going to dump another few hundred into a Lehle Parallel 'M'.
'76 Minimoog, Taurus 3, Oberheim FVS + Son of 2-voice; Sequential ProOne; Juno 106; Moog Model 15; Kurzweil 250; Hammond M3; and a handful of Fender Basses Flickr!

Alien8

Post by Alien8 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 9:53 am

Boss LS-2. Save some money - unless you need the features... I use it to mix fuzz & distortion, works great... Surprising how useful that pedal is... For guitar / bass / synth.

But I have to agree, a MIX knob would be a nice addition. Factory upgrade?
Vibration emanates from all things, even nothing. Using awareness to translate vibration into "music" is something that I am whole heartedly grateful for.

Vsyevolod

Post by Vsyevolod » Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:41 pm

Doesn't the optional pedal make a good attempt at bringing the sound in or out? At least the amount of drive?

Stephen