Sub Phatty: Out of tune issues - fixed

Everything Sub.
brento

Sub Phatty: Out of tune issues - fixed

Post by brento » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:01 pm

Hi everyone. Apologies for a 'newb' post but I'm quite new to analogue synthesis. My SubPhatty is working Just fine I'm sure. But recently I'm having troubles with the tuning. When I compose music with the Sub Phatty I have found that often other instruments will sound out of tune with it. Since I think my synthesizer is working correctly, I think I must just be doing something wrong.

For example I played only C notes on my SP but they sort of sound more like F or F# notes. There must be something I am missing. Can anyone give me any suggestions?
Last edited by brento on Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CleverConQueso

Re: Sub Phatty: Out of tune issues

Post by CleverConQueso » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:12 am

The Sub warms right up so it shouldn't be out of tune in that way. The most obvious is the tune knob, left side of the panel. I usually tune just a notch past center when I'm playing with the band. Other than that, I wonder if your keyboard is transposed. I've never changed this myself but I think the way you set the KB transpose is go to shift mode (hold the bottom 'bank' button and press the panel button) then select bank one, patch one, and press the left most key on the keyboard. You could also restore the factory globals but you'll lose your whatever. (Same process but it's Bank 3 & 4, patch 2, press the left most c# to execute. Maybe twice.)
Do you have an external keyboard or MIDI controller you can connect?
-CCQ-

http://www.moogmusic.com/sites/default/ ... NS_2.0.pdf

brento

Post by brento » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:34 pm

Yeah, the fine tune knob is still centered. My keyboard doesn't seem to be transposed. But I think I may have had pitch amt set to something over 0 and had my mod wheel up. I think I better give the manual a re-read... I mean, these are basics, but I guess I just didn't understand what pitch amt was doing.

dswo

Post by dswo » Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:41 am

brento wrote:Yeah, the fine tune knob is still centered. My keyboard doesn't seem to be transposed. But I think I may have had pitch amt set to something over 0 and had my mod wheel up. I think I better give the manual a re-read... I mean, these are basics, but I guess I just didn't understand what pitch amt was doing.
I've done the same thing, Brento, and had the same confusion.
David Wilson-Okamura

sp00ge

Post by sp00ge » Mon Sep 30, 2013 10:54 am

You may need to do the note calibration procedure listed in the manual. After you that I would suggest checking your scaling across a few octaves with a digital tuner. After the recent firmware update I found that my Sub was not scaling correctly even after I did a note calibration. Somewhere on this forum Amos posted a factory_note_calibration sysex that he suggested using prior to note calibration procedure if this problem occurs.

brento

Post by brento » Thu Oct 03, 2013 11:45 pm

Thanks Sp00ge. I just tested out everything, and have come to the conclusion, I am just ... dumb. Haha. It's tuned just fine. What I just did now was instantiate a virtual synth and played my MIDI keyboard (scales) all the way up and down and the moog played at the same time as the VI. It sounded precisely in tune. I think it's just difficult for me to get a hang of a virtual synth!