Assign Mod Wheel to Control Pitch (Sub Phatty)

Everything Sub.
funkybeatz911

Assign Mod Wheel to Control Pitch (Sub Phatty)

Post by funkybeatz911 » Sat Aug 31, 2013 7:22 pm

Hello,

Is it possible to assign the mod wheel to control the pitch of oscillator 2 so that I can tune osc2 up a 3rd from osc1 and use the mod wheel to switch back and forth between major and minor chord qualities while playing live?

Marc Doty demonstrates this using the voyager in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rDxaRwTzNrM

Does anyone know if this is also possible with the Sub Phatty?

Thank you!

till

Re: Assign Mod Wheel to Control Pitch (Sub Phatty)

Post by till » Sun Sep 01, 2013 1:12 pm

You could get this, but you would need to set the filter envelope to a special setting:

Tune OSC 2 to the minor third

Filter envelope (ADSR):
zero, zero, max, max

Modulation:
Rate = does not matter
Source = FILT EG
Pitch Amt = tune the needed interval for the major third while the Modwheel is at its max
Pitch Amt OSC 2 Only = on = button lights on
Filter Amt = zero
Wave Amt = zero

Done!

You may have to set the Filter EG Amount to zero, as the Filter Envelope is now not that useful for the filter anymore.
keep on turning these Moog knobs

Sequence:
Prodigy * minimoog '79 * Voyager * MF102 * MF103 * MF104z * MP201 * Taurus 3 * Minitaur * Sub Phatty * MF105 * Minimoog 2017+ MUSE * One 16

OnHoliday

Post by OnHoliday » Sun Sep 01, 2013 2:24 pm

Holy bleep! I've never thought of this, I feel like the world just opened up (using it to do perfect 4ths_> perf 5ths, maj to min 7ths). Thanks!

funkybeatz911

Post by funkybeatz911 » Mon Sep 02, 2013 11:46 am

till wrote:You could get this, but you would need to set the filter envelope to a special setting:

Tune OSC 2 to the minor third

Filter envelope (ADSR):
zero, zero, max, max

Modulation:
Rate = does not matter
Source = FILT EG
Pitch Amt = tune the needed interval for the major third while the Modwheel is at its max
Pitch Amt OSC 2 Only = on = button lights on
Filter Amt = zero
Wave Amt = zero

Done!

You may have to set the Filter EG Amount to zero, as the Filter Envelope is now not that useful for the filter anymore.

Bill, are you sure this is correct? I have set everything as you have listed, but all I am getting is a percussive "puff" sound due to the immediate attack and zero decay. When I tweak the decay knob up toward max and then use the modwheel I am getting a cool laser-gun type descending sound over top of the fundamental sound, but its still not quite what I am looking for. But it is certainly helping me learn!

funkybeatz911

Post by funkybeatz911 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:50 pm

-CORRECTION-

I tested out the settings you posted in Panel mode, and it worked brilliantly!

However, my problem persists.

When I posted my original response, I was working from a preset. That preset is the sound I want to manipulate. My first response is vaild with respect to that preset, but not with respect to panel mode, which begs the question: Why is this setting working in panel mode but not having the desired effect within the preset I am using?

I really appreciate the help you've given me so far, and I'd really appreciate if you could help me out with this question too.

The preset I am working with is:

BANK: 2
PATCH: 2

That's the one in which I need to be able to use the mod wheel to alter the pitch of OSC 2 between a minor/major third. I presume some under-the-hood setting associated with that preset is what is preventing your original idea from working to the desired effect.

Thoughts?

OnHoliday

Post by OnHoliday » Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:01 am

It sounds like you've changed the amplitude ADSR and not the filter ADSR.

funkybeatz911

Post by funkybeatz911 » Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:47 pm

Just double checked- I definitely altered the Filter ADSR

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Wed Sep 04, 2013 8:04 pm

Before making this test, you may want to move slightly the knobs so that they really reflect the stored settings (the preset).

Amos

Post by Amos » Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:11 pm

funkybeatz911 wrote:I have set everything as you have listed, but all I am getting is a percussive "puff" sound due to the immediate attack and zero decay. When I tweak the decay knob up toward max and then use the modwheel I am getting a cool laser-gun type descending sound over top of the fundamental sound, but its still not quite what I am looking for. But it is certainly helping me learn!
Diagnosis: turn up filter sustain to maximum. your description matches an envelope with zero sustain level, where for this effect you need a nonzero sustain, because that's the part of the envelope (the sustain portion) that you are primarily using as your mod source to increase the pitch of oscillator 2.