The latest Ebay rips...

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
EricK

The latest Ebay rips...

Post by EricK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 4:35 am

Moog ripoffs

Ribbon Controller $2099 “Needs Calibration”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-MODULAR-SY ... 232d80dc42

1130 with a Pearl Head: $699
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Moog-Dr ... 20d5a09a0c

Moog Satellite: $845
http://www.ebay.com/itm/85-World-Ship-V ... 27d47c4e90

Heres one from the Moog Archives: Parison Programmer (would make a nice diy sequencer)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Parison-Pr ... 20d592b736
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

Kevin Lightner

Re: The latest Ebay rips...

Post by Kevin Lightner » Mon Jul 29, 2013 5:53 am

EricK wrote:Moog ripoffs

Ribbon Controller $2099 “Needs Calibration”
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MOOG-MODULAR-SY ... 232d80dc42'
One problem here above... the 1150 has no internal calibrations.
It either works well, it doesn't or the seller doesn't know what they're talking about.
Way overpriced.
EricK wrote: Heres one from the Moog Archives: Parison Programmer (would make a nice diy sequencer)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Moog-Parison-Pr ... 20d592b736
This above isn't even a Moog Music product. It's Moog industrial controls.
It could probably be made into a sequencer, but what's the point?
A non-Moog logo on it to fool friends?

One of those sellers is selling a Korg T2 organ though and that I wouldn't mind. :)
Better to be king for a night than schmuck for a lifetime. - R. Pupkin

MC

Post by MC » Mon Jul 29, 2013 9:33 am

From the auction:
As you can see in the photos, this Vintage Moog Satelite is in excellent, perfect functional condition. All keys, switches, sliders, and controls work perfectly, and the synth is in top form. It has just been fully serviced and is ready for another 40 years of awesomeness. The synth is in fair cosmetic condition, with the obvious broken slider tips. The sliders still function perfectly however, so the issue is cosmetic only. The satellite is a hugely underrated synth, the first preset analog ever, and it's loaded with that huge moog sound in a small box/

The synth sounds (of course) INCREDIBLE! All of those squishy, squelchy, swirly analog leads and fat, beefy, minimoog style bass tones are on tap, as well as that classic moog whistle. Truly, this thing is a bass monster. As huge as it gets. It might look small, but this thing destroys... Check out the video! Love it! Enjoy!
Uh.... no. The Satellite is the worst sounding synth Moog ever made. It is not huge, not fat, not beefy, not a monster, yada yada yada. It doesn't even have the 24dB ladder filter. It was a half-hearted attempt to compete with ARP's ProSoloist, and Bob was less than thrilled with the design. Worst car sales pitch I've ever heard from a yankee slicker. And "excellent" in the same paragraph with "obvious broken slider tips"? Please.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

EricK

Post by EricK » Mon Jul 29, 2013 1:56 pm

There was a nice looking 1P modular for sale though that the bidding was >10k but has now shot up to 12.

Eric

kslight

Post by kslight » Mon Jul 29, 2013 7:57 pm

One problem here above... the 1150 has no internal calibrations.
It either works well, it doesn't or the seller doesn't know what they're talking about.
Way overpriced.

Probably taking inspiration from my prices...

I wouldn't be too critical of the calibration statement, in all likelihood it is a CYOA statement in the circumstance that someone buys it and has no idea how to use it, decides it is broken, and wants a return. Seems pretty common for people to be selling synths and such on eBay to folks that just have no idea what to expect (noise, etc) and then the buyer attempting to get a refund over what may be the normal functioning of the instrument. My 2 cents...anyway...

armillary

Post by armillary » Tue Jul 30, 2013 8:40 pm

Speaking of eBay rips, I was outbid at the last second on that fuzzy-pictured $2900. Minimoog model D on eBay several weeks ago (yes, I have the bug), then 3 days later received the most grammatically correct and official-looking second chance offer I've ever seen via email. Unfortunately it wasn't confirmed by an eBay message to the same effect, which was the red flag. The second chance seller was (of course) on a well-needed vacation with his wife after almost missing his flight because of (of course) the deadbeat original buyer. He was in the mountains of Washington state (the location of the original seller) and (of course) had no cell coverage, so he couldn't give me his cell phone number, but wanted my complete shipping information so he could have it packed and ready to ship when he returned home (of course). When I didn't send that information he emailed me several more times asking for it. I told him to enjoy his vacation and eventually he stopped asking. Yes, I forwarded his email to [email protected] and received no reply.

Anyway, like they say, be careful of those second chance offers unless you receive the offer directly through the eBay messages that you see when you login.

moogsaurus

Post by moogsaurus » Thu Aug 01, 2013 7:08 pm

Actually I had a CDX organ/synth for restoration maybe 7 years ago,the Satellite was pretty weedy (12db filter?)-however using the coupling function,the moog was layered onto the organ,pretty damn good "dual VCOish"effect! Quite etheral in fact, now wheres my altar boy outfit?!

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Aug 01, 2013 9:44 pm

moogsaurus wrote:Actually I had a CDX organ/synth
I had the CDX (Cordovox) White Elephant too! Guess I got that around 1977 or so. That Satellite was fun to play coupled to the organ section. Especially in 1977 when MIDI layering was nothing more than a distant dream. That CDX Satellite had an extra preset section that would override the control section. It had the odd high note priority and the glide was expo like the Moog modulars. I know when I played it with the organ I would use the glide slider as a sort of pitch bend. Had the filter cutoff and modulation ammount right there too, so it was somewhat expressive. That thin sound did cut through a mix though. The only thing I missed was there was no external CV inputs like on the Moog version. Would have been fun to hook up the ribbon or drum controllers to it.

I liked the sound, very Moogy in a different way. Just the other day I had a patch on the modular with one modulated 901 oscillator through the 904 filters that nailed the Satellite sound. Could never get that tone from a Minimoog.
Old Polaroid of the CDX version circa 1977.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

MC

Post by MC » Thu Aug 01, 2013 10:26 pm

I played one of those Freemans. Pretty scratchy sounding string synth.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Thu Aug 01, 2013 11:56 pm

MC wrote:Pretty scratchy sounding string synth.
That's a pretty good description of the sound. The "Animator" or chorus made the sound. Sounded flat without it, but turned up made is sound like a swarm of bees. Had a funky button on the right top portion of the pedal that bent the notes down a semitone. Also had a delayed vibrato called touch vibrato or something. I have read reviews that say it had pressure sensitive vibrato, but I think it was just a delay. Sold mine in 78 to fund a CS-80. Different string sound and the Yamaha did have a pressure sensitive keyboard.
Back to the Ebay related post. I wanted to get another one of these Freemans. There was an auction a few years back that started at $200 for a broken non-functioning one. This one was special though as it was said to have a Bob Moog modification done to it. Somewhere in the auction it said once owned by Jan Hammer. I immediately recognized this as the famous one with the Moog string filter built in by Bob for Jan Hammer. There were four custom Vector Plugboard circuits on the left side under the front panel. A custom Moog string filter added inside. I had a $650 bid ready to place at the last minute. Was a Saturday afternoon and got sidetracked, never did place my bid. The single bidder got it for the starting price. Wonder if they knew what it was? The one that got away for me.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:45 pm

Speaking of ebay rips, I think I got shill bid on this old brass Moog logo. Because I had put my highest bid at 50 bucks thinking it wouldn't go anywhere near that and then my wife went into labor. The bidders were "private" and upped it right up to my max. I paid for it, but I won't ever do that again. Hard lesson learned there.

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:33 pm

EricK wrote:Speaking of ebay rips, I think I got shill bid on this old brass Moog logo. Because I had put my highest bid at 50 bucks thinking it wouldn't go anywhere near that and then my wife went into labor. The bidders were "private" and upped it right up to my max. I paid for it, but I won't ever do that again. Hard lesson learned there.
And that's why it's not a good idea to bid on something while the wife's about to go into labor. :) At least you learned, even if it was the hard way. Pics of the latest addition to the family? :D
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Kenneth

Post by Kenneth » Thu Aug 15, 2013 6:12 pm

Moog Matriarch, ARP Odyssey MKII, Roland Juno-60, Yamaha DX7, Yamaha VSS-30

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Fri Aug 16, 2013 2:39 pm

Yeah, no...on ALL counts of that auction. :roll:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Mr Arkadin

Post by Mr Arkadin » Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:14 am

Wow, I bought my MC-202 for £60, now they'e worth £1000! Yeah right. :roll:
http://soundcloud.com/luke-antony