Why buy the MF-104? What can I do with it?

Plug in here for info tips and strategies for your Moogerfooger Analog Effects. Connect more than one for plenty of fun!
unfiltered37

Re: Why buy the MF-104? What can I do with it?

Post by unfiltered37 » Sat Jul 13, 2013 3:47 pm

I like to hook up a midi keyboard to my mp-201 in midi-to cv mode and play the delay. Discrete jumps in the delay sound so cool. Like the short/long switch on roids.

Ledbetter

Post by Ledbetter » Sat Jul 13, 2013 11:13 pm

No stereo . . . At that price? I don't want one as much now. I have a stereo Murf, and stereo makes it sound wondrous. I hope they go stereo in the next generation of '104s.
Former owner of Prodigy #2845 (purchased new, long ago), Animoog, Voyager Select (Fire & Maple), Little and Slim Phatties, Nord Electro 4D, 5D and Lead 2X, Roland AX-9.

stiiiiiiive

Post by stiiiiiiive » Sun Jul 14, 2013 6:51 am

It sounds deep and wide even in mono. Try one and you'll understand :)

facon

Post by facon » Sun Jul 14, 2013 1:01 pm

Ledbetter wrote:No stereo . . . At that price? I don't want one as much now. I have a stereo Murf, and stereo makes it sound wondrous. I hope they go stereo in the next generation of '104s.
The biggest drawback is having no stereo inputs. But it's an analog delay using BBD chips. Not sure what else we can expect. Most "stereo" analog delays just mess with the phase and aren't real stereo. You need two. Digital delay will do ping pong.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Sun Jul 14, 2013 4:07 pm

If there are no stereo inputs on any piece of gear, then it is not stereo, even the voyager. But the 104 is just as "stereo" or dual mono as any other, it has two differing outputs.

BTW, the 104 is also an amazing reverb as well when mixing. I setup my room like a chamber reverb, then put the 104 on the front end to get the "early reflections" at high speed and feedback. Sounds amazing. Also works great on the tail end of digital reverbs (with short decay on the reverb) so the 104 acts as the decay, which sounds better than any digital reverb decay.

vasago

Post by vasago » Sun Jul 14, 2013 7:20 pm

Croyote wrote:
vasago wrote:I would personally get a z before an M, but who really cares?

I care . . . I don't see why one would. I've owned the SD, the Z, the M, and various other analog delays. The M beats em all.

The cool things about the Z are the full second of delays, bright tone, and easy oscillation.

However, it's just not as useful in my eyes. The M is much more flexible has built in modulation, tap tempo, and an effects loop which is actually functional. The only thing it seems to lack is stereo output for ping-pong effects. Oh well, there's other way to get that sound.
i actually found the m to be less useful for me musically. its just easier to find a sweet spot with the z(for me). lfo mod can do cool things for sure, but i only see the real use in the m if you are fully prepared to get the distance out of the midi options.

'That being said, it is still the best sounding delay. I love my z and i know how to make it do exactly what i need it to do.
Voyager Performer FR Revox2 Taurus3 mf;102,103,104zx2,105m,CP251x1 SEM Xpander 808 606 pro1x2 FR XS, FRorbx3 Modfactor timefactor space mopho PolyE Nord g1 Vermona drm mk3 KP3x2

fuzulu

Post by fuzulu » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:22 am

unfiltered37 wrote:
BTW, the 104 is also an amazing reverb as well when mixing. I setup my room like a chamber reverb, then put the 104 on the front end to get the "early reflections" at high speed and feedback. Sounds amazing. Also works great on the tail end of digital reverbs (with short decay on the reverb) so the 104 acts as the decay, which sounds better than any digital reverb decay.

can u explain this in more detail pls

Croyote

Post by Croyote » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:29 am

I realized I was wrong when I said that the 104M is not a stereo pedal.

You can split the mix and wet (delay only) signals.

I did this on this track: https://soundcloud.com/thecrimsonmoog/t ... -homage-to

If youlisten closely you will also hear me tweaking the modulation and time, but not the waveform.

unfiltered37

Post by unfiltered37 » Fri Jul 19, 2013 5:21 pm

fuzulu wrote:
can u explain this in more detail pls

Look up chamber reverb, or alternatively reamping. Chambers, before digital and even before plates and springs were invented, was a way to get a nice huge reverb sound from a large space like a tall stairwell or basement. Set up a mic on one end of the room and speaker at other end. My recording room is not very reflective, so I setup a speaker and mic, but run the signal from the speaker, or else the signal from the mic through the 104. The 104 by itself at shorter delay times is very "spacious" sounding, but when you add the sound of the "chamber" it actually sounds like a much bigger room than in reality.

I don't like using digital verbs (or synths), I think the biggest problem to my ears with both is the ugly artificial digital decay that ruins it. So what i will do sometimes is shorten the decay time on the verb, and put the 104 after it (setting the mix, drive, delay time and feedback to taste) so the decay is nice and warm and smooth. But this is just how I work, I don't claim to be any sort of expert on reverberation, I just know what I like.

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 10:12 am

OK, you convinced med. Just ordered an ATA hard case and an MF-104M along with that. Can't wait to hear the Voyager wet with delay!
Latest gigs
https://youtu.be/Fpvi7Jrq8DQ
http://youtu.be/owdKlBrUUKY

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:50 pm

My 104z is a desert island pedal because they really add a tremendous amount to the sound. It adds a nice bit of majic to just about anything you run it through.

How are you liking that Voyager?

Did you get yourself a 351?
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 3:19 pm

I'm soooo pleased with the Voyager! Love the keyboard and I'm gonna get really spoiled having such a hands on interface. I've been practising my keyboard playing by translating some of my favorite RHCP basslines from bass and when I want a different sound in the middle of the song, with just a twist of a knob, voila! It's been really fun playing basslines with my right hand and tweaking away with my left. I remember years ago when me and a friend doodled with his Micromoog. Doing doing. One lame note after another, then another friend came over who's a real 80's dude, and he worked that Micromoog like crazy. We totally droppes our jaws and there I realised how much it matters when you're using the mod wheel, pitch bend and other parameters.

I'm living at my girlfriends small apartment at the moment, so I didn't buy the VX-351 yet since there's no room for both Voyager and foogers. It'll be a treat when we get something bigger. Then I'll get the racks and patchbay up on the wall and have some modular madness!
Latest gigs

Minimoog Voyager EB & Minitaur + MF-101 + MF-103 + MF-104M + MF-107 + CP-251 + Minifooger Drive. MachineDrum UW + MonoMachine + Rickenbackerbass (-75) + Hagströmguitar (-75).

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Aug 04, 2013 7:59 pm

The knob-per-function will spoil you and if you ever get into modular, having a CV in-and-out-per-function will spoil you again. I was hoping you were going to jump on that XL, but if space is an issue...
I tried to trade my Ash Lunar with CP/VX for a demo unit XL and some cash but it didn't happen.

I bet you that the 104 will be permanently patched to the Voyager. What is really cool is changing the rate or feedback via the touchpad.

If I get another delay it is going to be a tape delay of some kind.

Congrats on the Voyager, it is surely gratifying to play!
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MBlom

Post by MBlom » Sun Aug 04, 2013 9:06 pm

Well, I really like to jam with others and realised it would be a hassle or impossible with an XL, and I'm sure I made the right desicion. Though I now get the value of an extra octave, playing funk basslines really keep your hand busy travelling upp and down. And when I get to soloing it'll probably get even more obvious.

I was thinking about getting a Space Echo (Roland RE-201) instead. We had one in the studio and it's just wonderful! But I put a lot of value in the CV i/o. One day though...

Thanks Eric!
/Martin
Latest gigs