Ribbon Controllers

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
mico

Ribbon Controllers

Post by mico » Tue Apr 30, 2013 2:27 am

Anyone know of any CV ribbon controllers still in production? Or perhaps is there anyone on here interested in selling their Walking Stick?

I only know of Eowave and that is about it. However, it looks like their (cheaper) ribbon controller offering moves in chromatic steps as opposed to that classic ribbon sound. I own an iPad and can already get the chromatic sliding feel whilst playing if I choose, but I'd prefer the smooth and expressive feel that I came to know from older ribbon controllers.
Moog Sub 37 (#0133), Ibanez M80M, & Doomy Bow
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

kslight

Re: Ribbon Controllers

Post by kslight » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:01 am

Just sold my Moog 1150...

Cheap the Moog isn't, but the only other options I'm aware of are Eowave and Doepfer.

mico

Post by mico » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:32 am

kslight wrote:Just sold my Moog 1150...

Cheap the Moog isn't, but the only other options I'm aware of are Eowave and Doepfer.
I was afraid of this...
MF-102 • MF-103 • MF-105m • KE Kommander • MHI B:a (Germ. w/EQ mod) • Strymon Timeline
Previous: Model D, Taurus, Taurus III, Little Phatty SE II (Solar Edition w/CV Out mod), Sub Phatty

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Apr 30, 2013 8:45 am

Deopfer sells one. Oh i see it's been mentionned.

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:00 am

I doubt you could pry my Walking Stick v1 from my hands. The doepfer is probably better, but the ergos of the Psionics....
There was a DIY unit that was amazing, but I can't recall the name or source this morning.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

mico

Post by mico » Wed May 01, 2013 12:23 am

Just Me wrote:I doubt you could pry my Walking Stick v1 from my hands. The doepfer is probably better, but the ergos of the Psionics....
There was a DIY unit that was amazing, but I can't recall the name or source this morning.
I love the look of the WS. I plan on playing it violin-style alongside my Kommander. Such a bother, finding a ribbon controller these days.

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Wed May 01, 2013 1:34 am

I actually checked the walking stick website recently and it looks like he might be making them again
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

mico

Post by mico » Wed May 01, 2013 5:43 am

ColorForm2113 wrote:I actually checked the walking stick website recently and it looks like he might be making them again
Yes, I read that, but I am not exactly sure when they'll go about debuting V3. I will probably email them in hopes that they can expedite one for me at cost.

chromium

Post by chromium » Thu May 02, 2013 12:18 am

mico wrote:
ColorForm2113 wrote:I actually checked the walking stick website recently and it looks like he might be making them again
Yes, I read that, but I am not exactly sure when they'll go about debuting V3. I will probably email them in hopes that they can expedite one for me at cost.
"Them" is only me :)

I do have plans for another, and have been making progress. I shelved the whole thing for some time due to lack of inspiration and/or feasibility of the umpteen designs that I've waded thru (and also to tackle some of my own restoration projects). Picked it up again about a month ago, however, and have had some breakthroughs.

As this is more of a side/enjoyment-type of effort for me, I can't make any guarantees on dates. I'm just slowly chugging away at it as I can, and will make them available via Ebay and my site when/if I have units for sale again.

Thanks for the interest in the Walking Sticks!
Regards,
Joe

ColorForm2113

Post by ColorForm2113 » Thu May 02, 2013 8:45 am

chromium wrote:
mico wrote:
"Them" is only me :)

I do have plans for another, and have been making progress. I shelved the whole thing for some time due to lack of inspiration and/or feasibility of the umpteen designs that I've waded thru (and also to tackle some of my own restoration projects). Picked it up again about a month ago, however, and have had some breakthroughs.

As this is more of a side/enjoyment-type of effort for me, I can't make any guarantees on dates. I'm just slowly chugging away at it as I can, and will make them available via Ebay and my site when/if I have units for sale again.

Thanks for the interest in the Walking Sticks!
great to hear you still have plans for new ones! I was pretty sure you were a member here just didn't know what name you went by. Keep us posted :mrgreen:
My modular so far: Q104, Q106 x2, Q107, Q108, Q109 x2 , Q116, Q118, Q127 w/Q140, Q130, STG Wave Folder, Mixer and Mankato playing with Moog Voyager, VX-351, CP-251, MF-104M x2 ( STEREO!) Volca Beats and Bass, Arturia Beat step

Just Me

Post by Just Me » Thu May 02, 2013 9:23 am

I want an appendage to interface mine.
"Music expresses that which can not be said and on which it is impossible to be silent."

Benjamin AM

Post by Benjamin AM » Fri May 03, 2013 11:48 am

Just Me wrote:I want an appendage to interface mine.
I always drooled over the Continuum XYZ ribbon but my salivation dried as soon as I saw the price tag. Looking for a fairly inexpensive DIY kit, my attention was also directed to the Appendage. I think I spent around $200 for the entire product and roughly logged 20 hours building the thing. Now that I 've spent several months playing the Appendage, I would never trade it for a Continuum. This is primarily due to the fact that the Appendage was designed to be interfaced with a modular system. When used with external modules the Appendage can be a very expressive tool. I would argue even as much or more so than the Continuum. Instead of XYZ, the Appendage has XYT(FS). That is, two points of depression on the ribbon can control the amplitude of whatever source of modulation or effect. Also, since all of the voltage sources that the ribbon produces(plus the inverse of these voltages) are brought to the front panel, the Appendage is capable of duophony. With that said, I would only spend the time on building this thing if you have or are planning to have a modular system. If you are looking for a more straight forward ribbon, Ian Fritz is currently working on a new version of his DIY ribbon that looks very very promising. http://electro-music.com/forum/topic-55720.html
Little Phatty Stage II, Rogue, Cp-251, Soldering Iron