A novel idea A "Moog Soundcard"

In a Moog Mood? Here's a forum for discussion of general Moog topics.
[email protected]

A novel idea A "Moog Soundcard"

Post by [email protected] » Sun Apr 14, 2013 5:47 pm

Considering devices for use with protools utilize DSP chips that can then be used for instruments and effects and so forth, what about a "Moog Soudcard". It would include 3 VCO's, a VCF, and a VCA, then an analog out. Essentially the computer would allow you to apply digital sources as modifiers, waves, etc. and would be fully modular as it would be software that connected all of these components. For instance you could apply a VCO as VCA modification, or you could modulate the VCF with a digital source, or have 3 VCO's, a digital waveform source (for instance you might run three digital oscillators), a digital mod source, and run that through your VCF and VCA making a huge analog/digital hybrid lead. You could also patch in digital effects prior to the analog out, or anywhere in line. You could run a minimoog emulation through a real moog VCF and VCA. Basically the sky would be the limit as to what could happen with routings and digital signals, and you'd still have real analog VCO's, VCF, and VCA.

Voltor07

Re: A novel idea A "Moog Soundcard"

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:05 pm

No thanks, not interested. IMHO, Moog should NOT make such a thing, but rather, stick to hardware that interacts with other hardware via big cables with 1/4" phone plugs. You know, like the old days, when synths were the size and cost of a house? :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:14 pm

No. Ask Korg.

[email protected]

Post by [email protected] » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:17 pm

I just thought that it would be really nice to basically have a modular analog synth. With a midi controller with knobs, how would it be that different than a slim phatty. I of course love hardware, but I'd rather have modular flexibility with something that only has 4 knobs and no keyboard. Obviously Moogs going in a great direction with the SubPhatty and minitaur going for one knob per function, but if they are going to build things like a Slim Phatty, why not do something like this that would be far more capable of an instrument?

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:30 pm

Please please please, no computers... You'll be obsolete every three years. My model D is pushing 40 and it's not.

thealien666

Post by thealien666 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:43 pm

Today, it's all about software and apps. That's why Animoog was developed and is popular. Probably much more than a Moog Soundcard would be. Besides, producing apps costs almost nothing. But designing and producing hardware is extremely costly, even when made in China. The cost of a Moog soundcard would be prohibitive. Not to mention that the trend, in hardware synths these days, is toward getting back to basics: one-knob-per-function, rewarding, instantaneous hands-on experience (and gladly so)! A soundcard wouldn't offer any of that.

Thanks, but no thanks.
Moog Minimoog D (1975)
DSI OB6
DSI Prophet REV2
Oberheim Matrix-6
Ensoniq SQ-80
Korg DW8000
Behringer DeepMind 12
Alesis Ion

Voltor07

Post by Voltor07 » Sun Apr 14, 2013 6:47 pm

[email protected] wrote:I just thought that it would be really nice to basically have a modular analog synth. With a midi controller with knobs, how would it be that different than a slim phatty. I of course love hardware, but I'd rather have modular flexibility with something that only has 4 knobs and no keyboard. Obviously Moogs going in a great direction with the SubPhatty and minitaur going for one knob per function, but if they are going to build things like a Slim Phatty, why not do something like this that would be far more capable of an instrument?
You can't have modular flexibility with four knobs. Not without sacrificing sound quality. You want a modular? Buy a modular. They aren't that expensive these days. Start with three VCO's a VCF and a VCA. See how that works out without envelopes. :wink:
Minitaur, CP-251, EHX #1 Echo, EHX Space Drums/Crash Pads, QSC GX-3, Pyramid stereo power amp, Miracle Pianos, Walking Stick ribbon controller, Synthutron.com, 1983 Hammond organ, dot com modular.

kslight

Post by kslight » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:02 pm

I of course love hardware, but I'd rather have modular flexibility with something that only has 4 knobs and no keyboard.
I think you're very alone in this category.

As far as the "Moog Soundcard"...I don't want to be tethered to a computer. Not to mention that a lot of the big deal with analog synth hardware is having hands-on control...not just the sound.

CZ Rider

Post by CZ Rider » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:38 pm

kslight wrote:
I of course love hardware, but I'd rather have modular flexibility with something that only has 4 knobs and no keyboard.
I think you're very alone in this category.
It would never sell. A four knob modular without a keyboard, that you need a computer?
What would they call it, a 'Micromodular". :lol:

At the end of the Moog/Norlin era, Moog was dabbling in the then new field of computers and music. One of the last Moog products was the Moog Songproducer for the C-64. There was a check box on the package indicating there was to be a hardware Moog analog module. Never saw the light of day, but interesting to wonder what they would have come up with in those early digital/analog pioneering days.
1P Modular,Minimoog,VoyagerRME,CustomMinimoog,Prodigy,MG-1 TaurusII,Opus3,Rogue,Source,Liberation,Micromoog,1125S&H,
1130Perc.x2,1150Ribbonx2,Custom1150,1120Pedal,Songprod,CP-251,VX-351
VX-352,Etherwave,Synampx2,Lil'Phatty,Sonic Six

kslight

Post by kslight » Sun Apr 14, 2013 7:45 pm

CZ Rider wrote:
It would never sell. A four knob modular without a keyboard, that you need a computer?
What would they call it, a 'Micromodular". :lol:
[/quote]

I used to own one. Something tells me that if they had sold well there would be more floating around and Clavia wouldn't have abandoned modular development. The micro modular really isn't programmable from its front panel, all you can do is twiddle those knobs to whatever you assigned them to. I like the concept, but the Micro was janky (power plug especially)... I upgraded to the full deal.

EricK

Post by EricK » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:20 pm

[email protected] wrote:Considering devices for use with protools utilize DSP chips that can then be used for instruments and effects and so forth, what about a "Moog Soudcard". It would include 3 VCO's, a VCF, and a VCA, then an analog out. Essentially the computer would allow you to apply digital sources as modifiers, waves, etc. and would be fully modular as it would be software that connected all of these components. For instance you could apply a VCO as VCA modification, or you could modulate the VCF with a digital source, or have 3 VCO's, a digital waveform source (for instance you might run three digital oscillators), a digital mod source, and run that through your VCF and VCA making a huge analog/digital hybrid lead. You could also patch in digital effects prior to the analog out, or anywhere in line. You could run a minimoog emulation through a real moog VCF and VCA. Basically the sky would be the limit as to what could happen with routings and digital signals, and you'd still have real analog VCO's, VCF, and VCA.
I think that's a really neat idea but aren't the markets showing that pc and laptop purchases are down? I don't even think that ipads are going to be around much longer.
Support the Bob Moog Foundation:
https://moogfoundation.org/do-something-2/donate/

I think I hear the mothership coming.

MC

Post by MC » Sun Apr 14, 2013 9:50 pm

There are many reasons I would NEVER want a real analog soundcard in my computer. Not interested in the least.
Gear list: '04 Saturn Ion, John Deere X300 tractor, ganged set of seven reel mowers for 3 acres of lawn, herd of sheep for backup lawn mowers, two tiger cats for mouse population control Oh you meant MUSIC gear Oops I hit the 255 character limi

_DemonDan_

Post by _DemonDan_ » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:14 pm

Wow... has it been one and a half years already?
I've already forgotten my first reminder ;-)

2013:
EricK wrote:I don't even think that iPads are going to be around much longer.
2011:
_DemonDan_ wrote:
EricK wrote:Actually, iPads AREN'T here to stay.
Eric
Once a year, for the next five years, I'm going to publicly remind you of this quote. ;-)
_DemonDan_
http://forum.moogmusic.com/viewtopic.ph ... 184#p88184
_ :twisted: _DemonDan_ :twisted: _

ZYKLIFF

Post by ZYKLIFF » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:09 am

Nowhere in Moog's company mission does it say Analogue only. WHEN digital surpasses analogue (not even attempting to time-hack here) for sound quality... Moog will make a digital synth. Until then, I am thoroughly enjoying mi analogue oscillators with software flexibility.

Portamental

Post by Portamental » Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:25 am

ZYKLIFF wrote:Until then, I am thoroughly enjoying mi analogue oscillators with software flexibility.
I am glad you are, but as the owner of a Minitaur, i am NOT!!